7

[situation involving unwanted sexual contact]

all day, I was looking forward to a big party at Jacobs house. he had asked me to come last night, saying that everyone was going to be there. yes, ada, even embry. I could hear him roll his eyes over the phone.

I was the first person to get there. I had brought a bag of clothes and things like that so I could sleep over. I put the bag in his room, then we both sat on his bed.

"Jacob, why can't Edward come here without permission?" I asked, looking out his bedroom window. he had lots of beautiful trees in the backyard as well as a fire pit, some chairs, a hammock, and a big shed.

he laughed a little. "ah, it's this old stupid story."

I raised an eyebrow and made eye contact. "an old stupid story that I'd love to hear."

"okay, um... well. there's this story amongst the tribe that we descended from wolves," he said slowly, making sure I was keeping up. "Cullen's ancestors were preying on local people, so there was a treaty made between the Quileute and the Cullen's. they had to stay out of Quileute territory and our tribe had to stay out of their... politics in forks."

I wrinkled my nose. "preying on local people?" I repeated.

"yeah, they were kind of monsters," Jacob said with a shrug.

"what did they do?"

he looked a little perplexed, thinking that his description was enough to satisfy my curiosity. "well... the legend has it... that they, um, drank people's blood. it's just a story, though."

I nodded, pondering this new information. "what would happen if they broke the treaty?"

he shrugged. "I guess we'd have to kill 'em all."

he laughed, but I didn't, because I thought he was serious.

"I don't know, I think it's just a formality thing," he said. "I think we all just kind of know better than to fuck with each other like that. our treaties are really important, even if they seem kind of silly to other people."

I nodded. it made enough sense. I imagined Edward drinking people's blood from a large chalice.

I had accidentally fallen asleep on Jacobs bed and woke up as it was starting to get dark out. there was some chatter in the house and a couple of stray voices out back. when I looked outside, I saw two larger boys building a fire.

I took a carefully prepared dose, purposefully trying not to get as fucked up as last time. I would pace myself.

I headed out into the living room where I saw a few familiar faces and a few unfamiliar. there were four girls scattered throughout the room, some a little older. there were maybe six boys and men, then Jacob and i. embry wasn't there, at least not yet.

walking around the room, I tried to guess ages and who was with who. it was immediately obvious that the woman that was maybe in her mid twenties was with the man who was also probably in his mid twenties. they stuck to each other like glue.

there was another girl, probably about my age, talking to Seth enthusiastically with a drink in hand. they seemed to really be hitting it off. I wondered if anyone in the room was gay.

studying the room thoroughly, I found one guy who could definitely be gay and one who was maybe a little queer. I liked this game.

after walking around, silently playing my game for a while, I slipped out the back door and found a seat at the fire pit. the two men finally had some flames going, but their job wasn't over yet. they still had to build it bigger. they talked to each other as they carried out their strategy.