11

I woke up on the couch in the Cullen's living room, buried under two cozy blankets. my head and upper body were propped up with layers of pillows. Edward and Bella were talking to Alice outside on the deck. I couldn't turn my head around to see them, but I could hear them. their voices were muffled by the glass door.

I wasn't in too much pain, but my face felt suppressed under a lot of pressure. the sun was starting to go down outside. I slowly lifted myself to sit upright. I turned to look outside, where Edward was staring directly at me. Alice and Bella looked too after following his gaze. they all came back inside.

"Jake told me what happened," Bella said, eyes drooping with basset hound sadness.

I looked down at my hands in my lap, recalling the events from earlier that day and the night before.

"I just want to kill him," Alice said bleakly, frustration twisting her fairy tale features. Edward stood silently beside her. Bella settled onto the couch next to me.

"we know we can't tell Charlie what really happened," Bella said, looking up at Edward and Alice. "unless you want to press charges.."

I furiously shook my head, causing a cramp in my neck. I groaned, grabbing my neck with my hand, trying to find a way to hold it in a relieving position.

"I have a good idea, I think," Alice said, sitting on the floor in front of me. "I was thinking we should say that you and I went out shopping and I hit a deer on our way home."

"you look fine to me," I joked with a voice crumpled with pain. edward smirked.

"I happen to be really good at special effects makeup," Alice said with a little smile. her eyes, still, were sad and worried. I wished that it didn't take all of this pain for people to care, to support me. Edwards smirk vanished and he looked at his feet.

I considered this idea. sure, I wanted my dad to hunt jared down and throw him in a cold cell for the night, but I was not about to press charges in court or anything like that. I'd rather die.

"jake's not going to let him get away with this, by the way," Bella said, trying to make eye contact, but I couldn't turn my head to face her. "he said he'd talk to the other guys to figure out what to do."

after a little moment of silence, Edward said, "I should go get Carlisle, now that you're awake," and slowly walked off to the other room where the stairs were.

Alice placed a dainty cold hand on top of mine. "can I get you anything? water?" she asked gently.

"no, thank you," I said quietly, shifting around to lay back on the pile of pillows.

when Carlisle came in, he studied my face and asked Alice to get a cold pack from the freezer to bring down the swelling. she had wrapped it in a dish towel and gave it to me. I held it gently against my cheekbone, which Carlisle explained he had to do a minimal surgical maneuver to set a small fracture in the bone. he said I could take another painkiller in an hour.

Alice and Carlisle discussed the alternative narrative and the plan. i laid my head back on the pillow and did all I could do, sleep.

on the way home, Alice prepared me to get the story right. basically, I would just follow her lead anyway. she had a big oozing wound on the side of her head from her brow to her cheekbone, stitched together with fake black stitches. she had a stint on her nose as if it were broken, as well as some lovely purple bruising. she wasn't lying when she said she was talented. she applied some scattered bruising around her chin and neck as well, especially in the spot where a seatbelt would choke her back in an accident. I had a prescription bottle of painkillers from Carlisles office. I thought it very strange that he kept things like this in the house, especially having so many teenagers under one roof. i had just met Emmett and jasper earlier before leaving the house. Emmett had joked that he didn't expect me to be so ugly. I told him it was a shame for Bella that I had the good genes.