13

"we're going to ride our bikes today," Bella said with a proud smile. "do you wanna come watch?"

"what, you wouldn't let me try?" I asked, pretending like I would ever do something like that.

she rolled her eyes. "no, we wouldn't. are you coming or not?"

I shrugged and went to my room for my phone, then followed her out to her car.

on our way there, she eyed me up and down a few times without a word.

finally, I had to say something.

"what?" I snapped, much meaner than I meant to be.

she looked uncomfortable. "jeez," she grumbled, looking back at the road. "why are you so fucking... angry all the time?"

I took a deep breath and looked down at my hands. I was wearing my favorite dark red cardigan. I pulled the cozy sleeves over my palms. "sorry," I mumbled.

she looked at me again, and from the corner of my eye, I could see her biting her lip. "no, I'm sorry."

there was a long stretch of silence before she continued. "everyone's worried about you. I heard mom and dad arguing over the phone about locking you up again."

my eyebrows pulled together angrily and I squinted at her. "are you kidding me?"

"what, are you surprised?" she said, scoffing.

"ugh," I groaned, leaning my head back against the head rest. "it's a waste of time."

"what you're doing now isn't wasting time?" she asked like a smart ass.

"can we just have a normal, good day?" I asked, getting pissed off.

"fine," she said quietly, staring at the road like an insane person in a Kubrick movie.

Jake already had the motorcycles loaded into the bed of his truck. I had to ride in the bed because there were only two seats in the car. he laid a heavy tarp over them and said we wouldn't be driving far, which was true.

on our way to the dirt road, we passed by some large cliffs at la push where some of the boys were cliff diving. Bella totally freaked out for no reason, thinking that they were doing some weird suicide ritual or something. I could hear her even though their windows were closed. she's such a spazz.

I thought it looked nice. I daydreamed about taking every medication I could get my hands on, diving from the top and sinking to the bottom. I would turn into a mermaid and never come home. I would live with the fish and other mermaids and live a fulfilling life until my time comes. either that, or I would die.

in time, Jake stopped at a dirt road and got out to unload the motorcycles. he did so with hardly any struggle at all. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't even push one of the motorcycles toward him from the bed.

he gave us a demonstration of how to properly ride a motorcycle. he looked like a natural. it was kind of sexy.

when it was Bella's turn, she enthusiastically hopped on the bike.

"are you gonna try it next?" he asked me with a grin. she shook her head at him and I shrugged.

he told her how each handle worked. this is the gas, this is the break, etc. simple stuff.

she fucked it up. she went way too fast, hit a rock, and fell off the bike. I don't know what he was thinking- she's one of the clumsiest people anybody knows.

I stood up in the bed and hopped over the side. Jacob rode his bike over to her and knelt on the ground next to her. even if I ran, I would've gotten to them just as they made it back to the truck.