𝟎𝟎𝟒

Sliced Boulders; Names of Dead Children

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

        Y/N looked down at Tanjiro worriedly as Makomo looked at her.

'She's really pretty,' Makomo thought.

"Ah! Tanjiro! Are you alright?!"
Y/N suddenly exclaimed, causing Makomo to let out a small huff of annoyance.

Tanjiro sat up quickly.

"Did you see that move just now?!" He asked the girls.

"That was an awesome strike! No hesitating or unnecessary moves at all! Very clean! I want to be like that too! I can do it, right?! That move just now...?"

"Of course you can. You both can. I'll be there to witness it," Makomo said.

"Who are you?" Tanjiro asked.

"I'm Makomo! That boy that you fought's name is Sabito."

Since that day, Makomo pointed out the places that Y/N and Tanjiro were lacking.

She helped them adjust many unnecessary moves and bad personal habits.

She never said why she helped them or where she came from.

She would constantly answer with, "We all love Urokodaki-sensei a lot!"

Sabito and Makomo aren't siblings.

Urokodaki seemed to have adopted them.

"There are other children too," Makomo would say.

"They've been watching you Tanjiro, Y/N."

Makomo was a strange girl.

Her words were riddles within riddles.

"Total Concentration Breathing is the acceleration of the blood flow and beating of the heart. That way, your body temperature will rise. You will be able to maintain a human form but be as powerful as a demon. You have to increase your lung capacity and allow the maximum amount of air that you are able to hold to enter your blood stream. When your blood is quickens, your bones and muscles will go into panic mode. And when your blood runs hot, then you will become strong."

Tanjiro looked more confused than he had ever been.

'Note to self: tell Tanjiro a simplified explanation of Total Concentration Breathing,' Y/N thought.

"How do I do that?" He asked.

"Do your best to train. I don't think there is any other way except for that," Makomo answered.

While Tanjiro continued to try and defeat Sabito, Y/N was working closer with Makomo.

The smaller girl seemed very interested in the way Y/N trained and would constantly watch her movements.

Sometimes, she would even feel Sabitio's gaze on her.

'These two give me the creeps...'

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

        "You did it, Y/N!" Makomo cheered, her arms wrapped around the taller's waist.

Y/N finally managed to slice through her boulder.

Y/N and Makomo sat on top of
Y/N's cut boulder as they watched Tanjiro and Sabito.

"After a year, you finally look like a man," Sabito said as he drew his blade.

"Today, I will win!" Tanjiro exclaimed with determination.

The two charged at each other at the same time, Tanjiro's sword striking before Sabito's.

Tanjiro cut Sabito's mask in half, revealing his beautiful lavender eyes, the large scar on his right cheek, and a kind, joyful smile.

Makomo hopped off of the boulder half and said, "You must both win. Against that person too."

Makomo disappeared along with Sabito, who's place was taken by Tanjiro's rock that was cut in half.

Y/N's eyes welled up with happy tears as she ran to embrace Tanjiro.

"I didn't want to send you two to Final Selection because I didn't want to see any more children die," said Urokodaki's voice from behind them.

"But I didn't count on you being able to slice those rocks. You did well, Tanjiro and Y/N. You're impressive kids. You must come back alive from Final Selection."

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

        After cutting her hair/After helping Tanjiro cut his hair, Y/N received what Urokdaki called a 'warding mask' that was supposed supposed keep her safe from harm.

It was all white and adorned with F/C vines on the sides.

Before leaving, Tanjiro and Y/N prayed for Nezuko, who had been sleeping since her arrival.

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

        "Come on, Tanjiro! We don't want to be late!" Y/N exclaimed.

"Coming! We're leaving now, Urokodaki-sensei! Say 'hi' to Sabito and Makomo for us!" Tanjiro called out after him.

Urokodaki's wave faltered.

'How... How do they know the names of those dead children...?'

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Makomo
40%

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

✿Taisho-Era Secrets✿

❥ After getting Y/N's letter about her going to Final Selection, S/N immediately sent her a small care package filled with necessities.
❥ Y/N is taking the care package and the food that she didn't eat with her to Final Selection.
❥ Sabito wanted to talk to Y/N more, but he was too shy.
❥ Makomo became very clingy towards Y/N during the short time that they were together.

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜