02

Evangeline

   "Alcohol, bad. Coffee, good." Cooper grumbled as soon as he and the rest of the group trudged into the cafe.

I smirked from behind the counter and began making their usual drinks. The four of them wore the designated sunglasses and hoodies that were picked specifically for hangover day.

"I think I woke up drunk" Maya mumbled, hopping up on the stool that she normally sat in near the counter closest to my register.

"I think I'm still drunk" Thomas nodded as he and the boys slid into their usual booth that was almost directly in my eyes view.

"I'm definitely still drunk" Cooper chimed, his finger in the air for dramatic effect.

"I'm...perfectly fine" my brother beamed, earning glares from the rest of them. I shook my head, chuckling, finishing up their coffees and walking around the counter to hand it to them individually.

"I love you" they all praised as soon as they took their first sips.

"Yeah yeah" I rolled my eyes and returned to my register.

"Maya! If you order anymore fabric to my damn apartment, I'm going to tell your parents" Liv's voice boomed as soon as she entered the room, causing them all to groan.

Liv's the owner of the cafe and Mayas aunt, pretty much guaranteeing me the job here.

"Aunt Liv...so loud" Maya winced, rubbing her temples.

"Hangover day? Who's paying?" The energetic woman asked, stealing a glance at everyone.

"Cooper" we all answered in unison.

"My money was on Tommy" she snapped making me laugh.

"Anyways, that's not wh- fabric!" She pointed at Maya and they continued to bicker about net nieces fashion problem.

Mayas father is in the business world and with her being his only child, it was practically a given that it was soon to be Mayas world as well. Fashion is what she really wants to pursue, hence the sneak ordering fabric and multiple sewing machines Liv and I have stored in our apartments for her.

See what I mean about the whole, buckling under pressure?

"Come on Aunt Liv, just think, when I'm huge in the fashion industry, it'll be all thanks to you" Maya grinned, all innocent like.

"Oh jeez" Liv rolled her eyes.

"V! Vangie! My savior, you're going in my will, thank you for coming in today, Frankie had a family emergency and Oliver's coming in late, I was desperate" Liv's attention suddenly on me, her praises remaining high.

"You know I'm always willing to come in. Who else would you have called?" I smirked and watched her gather a stack of papers.

"Very true, I have to hang these hiring flyers up and yell at an idiot delivery man, do you th-"

"I've got it Liv, you go...tell that delivery man" I pointed a finger and grinned. She let out a breath of relief, nodding her head and waving goodbye to everyone.

"Savior, I'm telling you, I was serious about that whole will thing, I won't be more than an hour!" She praised again, rushing out the door.

"Are you sure she isn't your mom?" Thomas asked as we watched the older blonde from outside the window.

"I've tried using that on my mom once and it did not end well" Maya shrugged.

"Thanks for the coffee! If anyone needs me, I'll be in the library for the next four hours. That's if anyone...and I mean anyone...please, save me" Maya begged, swiping her drink from the counter and throwing her bag over her shoulder.

"Some study groups are required to attend Maya" Thomas rolled his eyes and she pouted while sliding off of her stool.

"You guys are no help to me, ever" she glared.

We all said our goodbyes to her on her way out and it wasn't long before the boys had to leave as well. I guess it was a short hang out day for everyone and soon I'd have the cafe to myself.

Thomas and Lucas both worked at an auto shop so they grabbed their drinks and shot me big goofy smiles while they got ready to head out.

"Lucas, don't forget Hayden! I'm picking up dinner necessities!" I called out to my brother who just gave me a nod and a wave before rushing out behind Thomas.

Cooper was the last to slide out of the booth, throwing his bag over his shoulder as well.

"The payment of shame" he sighed when he approached the counter to hand me his card.

"Lose with pride Coop, next time, think before being offered a third keg stand" I smirked, swiping his card and waiting for his receipt.

"On the bright side, the cute redhead gave me her number just before I projectile vomited everywhere" he beamed.

"Yes, then you projectile vomited on the phone number that she wrote on your hand and we had to scrub it off" I explained making him frown.

"Damnit" he mumbled.

"Anyways, I have to head back to town to help my mom with something, probably another piece of unnecessary furniture, so expect me for dinner" He pointed at me, picking up his drink and heading for the exit.

"I expect nothing less" I shook my head and waved goodbye.

You'd think, with Maya and Cooper attending college away from home and staying in dorms, we'd see less of them.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Liv's cafe is only ten minutes away from campus, giving them access to coffee and a secure hang out spot that no one really knows about. Liv's was a small shop that usually drew in business people and those idiots. Other than that, the real business was at every Starbucks that was placed carefully on each corner.

Lucas and Thomas' job is also not too far from campus, so...that only gets our group so far without seeing one another, even if it is for a few minutes.

Remember when I said 'almost every moment together?'

If they weren't spending a weekend attending all of the college bars or parties, they often were back in our hometown. No progress in separation, whatsoever.

Very tight knit group we've got going on.

The bells above the entrance chimed, signaling someone had just walked in and I pulled myself out of the spiral of my thoughts.

"Welcome in, I can help you when y-"

I was cut off when the man raised his hand between the both of us as soon as he approached my register. His other hand went to rub his temple and by the looks of his sunglasses and hoodie, he must've also been at that party last night.

"Did...did you just hold your hand up to stop me from talking?" I asked, taken back by the action.

"That was just...way too chirpy for this hour" he grumbled like it was a good enough excuse to do such a thing.

"You do understand how rude that is...right?" I asked with a tilt of my head.

What the hell was it with the men in this city?

Just as he opened his mouth to respond, I mimicked the action, holding my hand up between us. His mouth slowly shut and I took the moment to stare at my own reflection in his sunglasses.

"See what I mean?" I asked, nodding my head, hoping I got my point across.

The man didn't say anything before he slid his hoodie off of his head and tipped his sunglasses down the bridge of his nose to get a good look at me.

"Holy shit" he scoffed and I just narrowed my eyes at him.

When he took his sunglasses off completely, it took another few seconds for it to click before I let out a snort.

"You've got to be shitting me" I shook my head and folded my arms across my chest.