23

Evangeline

       After the day spent with Tristan, we made it home just in time for me to prepare dinner before I had to meet Maya at Rampage. Hayden would not stop talking about Tristan the second we dropped him off to his car.

My heart leaped at the pure joy in his eyes to have had the kind of fun he did today. With mine and Lucas' work schedule always clashing, we never really had the time to take Hayden to do things like that.

Not often at least.

Tristan was such a big help today, regardless of this mornings stunt he pulled. I couldn't deny that I did need the distraction and time to think and he succeeded in providing exactly that.

The more time I spent with him, the more I realize that I was the one who judged too quickly. The more I realize the breath of fresh air he is.

Hayden helped me carry the groceries inside and we were greeted by Jeremy who held the concerned look I've been getting all day.

"Hey kid, how was the park?" he smiled at Hayden who beamed with excitement.

"It was so fun! Me and T played soccer, then we got Vangie to play and kicked her butt" Hayden grinned and I let out a chuckle as he reminisced.

"As expected, V is terrible at athletics" Jeremy shrugged making me roll my eyes.

"That's not true, I'm a great swimmer" I pointed out earning a laugh.

"She tripped over the ball like eight times" Hayden giggled and I gasped.

"Dude! We swore not to say anything!" I laughed.

"Well, go hop in the shower, there's dirt all over your face" Jeremy nudged my little brother who skipped his way to the bathroom after setting the bags on the counter.

Jeremy turned to look at me again while I started pulling out the things I needed for dinner.

"V..."

"I don't...I don't really want to talk about it. We were both mad and said things" I sighed, knowing Maya must have filled him in.

"But I know your brother and we all know he just...says things in the moment that he shouldn't say" He explained.

"That's because he's an idiot" I chuckled.

"But it's fine, I've cooled down, he'll cool down, it happens" I assured him.

I was alright, I know Lucas and I know he can get angry and say hurtful things. He shouldn't, but he does and he's managed to work on that. He tried really hard not to explode like he did today but one can only hold in so much.

"Don't go making excuses for him, he always regrets what he says which means he's aware of how wrong it is" my uncle said, reading my mind.

"I know, really Uncle J, I'm good. It's been...a hectic few weeks. To think that it's only been a few weeks is throwing me off" I chuckled.

"Okay, just making sure...I'm a great listener by the way" he smiles and began helping me prepare dinner.

"So, T?" He suddenly changed the subject and immediately I felt the heat rise in my face.

"Tristan, he's just a friend" I shrugged, hoping I wasn't making it sound as awkward as I felt.

"Hm...same Tristan from the party?" He hummed and I cleared my throat.

"Y-yeah, turns out he's not so bad" I nodded, mentally scolding myself for the slight stutter.

"Judge him a bit too early?" Jeremy asked, the softest smile on his face.

"Yeah...yes, exactly. I mean, given we didn't have a choice, we've spent some time getting to know each other and he's...he's not so bad" I repeated, unable to hide the grin as I thought about the last couple of weeks.

It's been such a turn of events, to think I didn't want anything to do with him before. Now I'm practically with him as often as I am with the group, if not, probably more. Which I didn't think was possible...

"Well, you seem happy with the way things turned out so far, Lucas is going to be your protective big brother, regardless if it'd been this Tristan character or Chris Evans. You're the most adult person I know, myself included, and I trust that you'll make the right decisions" Jeremy shrugged and I looked up at him in shock.

"Woah..." I breathed and earned a laugh.

"What?" He quirked an eyebrow.

"Good parent moment uncle J" I praised making him laugh again.

"I've picked up a few things here and there" he grinned and we both looked over at Hayden who came trembling out of the bathroom, wrapped in his towel.

"Done!" He grinned.

"Pajama time!" Jeremy cheered, washing his hands and jogging around the counter to swoop Hayden up and take him to the bedroom to help him get dressed.

I smiled at the sight and tried to hurry and finish up dinner so I could get ready for my shift. It felt odd to not have worked today and I was more than eager to get busy again.

I wasn't going to get much sleep anyway so I'd rather work and keep my mind from wandering.

The front door opened and Lucas walked in, his sad eyes meeting mine instantly. I gave him a soft smile to assure him I was alright and turned the stove off since I was just about done.

"We're having tacos, I know you love a good taco bar-" I was cut off when he marched over to engulf me in his arms. I let a breath and hugged him back, feeling him squeeze a little tighter.

It's been a really long time since we've had a moment like this and judging by his hug, it was long over due for the both us.

"I'm sorry, I've never been so sorry before in my life V, I didn't mean it. That was such a dick thing to say" he mumbled and I let out a breathy laugh.

"Yes...yes it was" I nodded and pulled away, looking up at him.

"Regardless, it is true, I'm not mom and if that's how you feel, I can't be upset about that" I admitted and the sadness in his eyes grew.

"I shouldn't have said it" he looked down and I just nudged him.

"We're good, I promise" I assured him again and finished up the final touches for the little taco bar I'd set up. I left my brother in the kitchen who still seemed wary but I brushed it off to start getting ready for my shift, drowning in my thoughts in the silence of my own bedroom.