48

Tristan

This whole Cooper thing is taking a much bigger toll on Evangeline than I'd like to admit.

I fucking hate seeing her so sad.

Right now, she's curled up in bed and pretending to be asleep even though everyone knows she couldn't fall asleep even if she wanted to.

I'm next to her, watching her as she hugs a pillow to her chest with her eyes shut and my heart nearly bursts because she's still so goddamn beautiful.

The woman has me wrapped around her little finger and I would chop off my arm if it meant getting her out of this slump.

I let out a sigh, slide off of the bed and head over to her side, crouching down so that my chin rests on top of the arm that's resting on her bed.

"Baby" I murmur, brushing the hair out of her face.

"Hm?"

"Can I do anything? Anything at all?" I ask, my thumb caressing her cheek, an attempt at getting her to open her eyes.

When she does, my heart only sinks some more at the sadness flooding them.

"I don't do well with fall outs" she sniffles, her usual strong tone gone and replaced with a tone that could break the heart of every man ever.

"I see that...want me to kick his ass?"

"Tristan!" She scolds though I don't miss the way the corners of her mouth tug up just a bit.

"Just a suggestion" I playfully shrug and then a small smile breaks through, relief washing over me as soon as it does.

"He's my best friend" Evangeline whispers and I let out another sigh, straightening up so I can scoop her into my arms. I settle into her bed and arrange her in my lap, Evangeline nuzzling her face into the crook of my neck.

"I hate this" I say.

"What?"

"This whole thing. I hate that you're sad and I can't do anything for you and I hate that it's over another man" I grumble, instinctively tightening my arms around her.

"I love you, Tristan" she insists with nothing but truth lacing her tone and tops it off with a kiss to my neck.

"Yes, I'm very aware, but he loves you. Two idiots love you and you're crying over the one who isn't holding you in his arms right now" I sigh.

"It's a world know fact, Evangeline, you're too lovable and it's be some a danger to the planet" I try to joke but her silence tells me I'm bombing right now.

This makes her sit up so that she's looking at me, those analyzing eyes of hers scanning my face with what she calls pity eyes.

"I'm sorry" she frowns and I let out a groan.

"No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't be jealous and I certainly shouldn't be making you feel shitty when you're already feeling shitty" I huff and now it's my turn to nuzzle into her neck.

"I've never felt this way about anyone and I'm more than frustrated to not know what to do. Where's the handbook that's supposed to help me help my girlfriend get over another guy but not in the sense that you'd think?" I babble and am now irritated with myself because this whole love thing is turning me into a moron.

Evangeline's hands slide up to caress my face, tilting my head so that we're staring at one another. Two souls frustrated and learning something new. I turn to kiss her palm a few times before letting out a deep breath and meeting her gaze.