33

Evangeline

Sunday snuck up on me quicker than I'd hoped and I wasn't freaking out until I received the outfit Henry and Nate sent me. It was ridiculously beautiful and so out of my world that I was unsure if I'd made the right decision to attend this thing. I kept my promise to the boys and avoided telling Tristan at all cost, though it did nothing but confuse me.

I'd received a text from Nate telling me that the car would be here around 7, giving me an hour and a half to get ready because I've been procrastinating.

"Oh, screw it" I mutter and begin the process of getting dressed.

The dress is damn near a perfect fit, how the boys got that down is beyond me. It's a long, dark green dress with a slit stopping mid thigh on my left leg. It hugs my body, outlining every curve, and exposes my collarbones because it's one of those off-the-shoulder kind of dresses.

I add some silver earrings and a matching necklace before staring at myself in the mirror in pure shock.

I look like a totally different person, I look like...I don't know, a woman? God, I sound like an idiot.

I don't know if I should wear my hair up or down and now the nerves have only heightened.

"What the hell am I doing?" I whisper and cover my face with both hands.

Maybe my brother and friends are right. This is crazy, what the hell am I doing wearing something like this and attending fancy events? I don't take off of work or argue with my family, it's just not me.

"Ah, you love it"

Tristans voice rings in my head and my heart is suddenly beating 10 times faster.

"You look like your mom" Jeremy's voice startles me and I jump a little, turning to see him leaning against my door with his arms folded, looking the most fatherly I've ever seen him.

"Do I?" I laugh nervously.

"Oh yeah, it's kind of creeping me out" he jokes and I let out a really laugh.

"What am I doing, Uncle J?" I ask, feeling conflicted.

"I think only you know that, kid" he chuckles.

"I shouldn't go right? Maybe Lucas and the group- maybe they're all right, this isn't me" I voice my thoughts out loud, not getting any reaction from my uncle.

"Want my opinion?"

"Honest" I nod.

"I think...that this is the most you, you've been in a really long time" Jeremy admits and my heart feels as if it could burst.

I have no words, I couldn't muster any up because his words alone conjured up feelings that I haven't felt since my parents.

"Go, Vangie" Jeremy finally says and pushes off of my door.

"And wear your hair up, don't be such a prude" he says lastly before leaving my room. My laugh echoes down the hall before I face the mirror and begin styling my hair.

When I receive a text saying the car is near, I'm immediately nervous again, pacing around our kitchen, itching to make a quick cup of coffee.

I grab my keys and small hand bag that came with the dress before heading for the door.

"I don't like this, the whole, you getting buddy buddy with this guy and his games" Lucas' voice stops me and I pause, my hand resting on the handle.

"I know you don't"

"The second he does anything to hurt you, I won't hold back anymore, none of us will" Lucas tells me, warns me.

"You're welcome to join me" I tell my brother.