36

Evangeline

"What the hell's this, V? We're just letting him come around like this is normal? Into our home? We don't know him!" Lucas starts off immediately, stepping into the room and not even bothering to tone it down while our brother sleeps.

"Not in here" is all I say, turning to steal a glance at Tristan who gives me a nod. A nod telling me he's right behind me and won't say a word unless provoked or necessary.

I don't deserve him. I really don't. This situation proves that and more. I need to get him out of here. He doesn't deserve this kind of treatment and I don't deserve to have someone who's willing to stand there and take it all.

Without another word, Tristan trails behind me as we leave my bedroom, the rest of the group following after.

Maya makes sure she shuts the door and I'm grateful for it, wanting Hayden to rest and not worry about the argument that is bound to happen.

"Tristan stopped by to drop some things off for Hayden, not that there's any explanation necessary considering we're all adults here. But since the four of you find it difficult to grasp that concept, I'll be happy to explain whatever the hell it is you want for the sake of saving me an argument" I sigh.

"You let some random in our home, around our brother, someone you barely know and just think I'd be comfortable with it? You don't know him, Evangeline"

"Oh and you do?" Tristan cocks his head.

"Excuse me?"

"Please, enlighten me. Who am I, Luke?" He challenges my brother.

"You're a piece of shit" Lucas doesn't even hesitate to answer.

"Lucas!" I hiss.

"V" Cooper grabs my forearm and Tristan tracks the movement.

"I'm a piece of shit?" Tristan laughs. It's a dry laugh, one that is far from humorous.

"The four of you can't even tie your goddamn shoes without asking Evangeline for help and I'm the piece of shit?" Tristan points a finger at the four, his tone bored but his eyes blazing with rage.

"T" Thomas says his nickname as a warning but Tristan doesn't budge, not even a little bit.

"You have a lot to say about me when I've spent more time with your sister than I've seen any of you at parties. I can guarantee, she knows me plenty" The smirk on his lips is meant to fuel the fire.

He said it that way on purpose, smirks at them on purpose, as if to imply we've done more than what we've actually done.

I can't seem to find myself to deny his words as my gaze bounces between the group of people.

Cooper and Thomas have to hold Lucas back as he tries to lunge for Tristan, who doesn't even flinch.

Maya gasps and her hands fly up to smother it.

"Enough!" I finally snap.

"Tristan" it comes out soft and weak and timid and I hate it. I hate the way it sounds almost as much as I hate what I'm about to do.