03

Evangeline

    "You're the girl from last night" he pointed a finger at me, the most amused smile on his lips.

"You're the dickhead" I nodded, leaning against the counter behind me, where I make the drinks, to keep my distance.

"Beautiful customer service, I've never felt so welcomed" he grinned, the sarcasm oozing from his mouth.

"Are you going to order something?" I asked, not having the energy for anymore of this conversation he seemed to be enjoying.

"What happened to service with a smile?" He asked, nothing but cruel intentions in his eyes.

"You would've had it had you portrayed basic human decency" I blurted without thinking, my mouth moving too quickly for my brain to stop it,

"You do not like me" he smirked, pointing at me again.

"What? No, I love when people feel entitled to treat others like shit, it's like, my most favorite thing" I said, a sarcastic snicker escaping me just as the words did.

He chuckled and looked down at the counter before looking back at me, his bright blue eyes practically shining with amusement.

"Is this how you treat all of your customers? Paying customers?" He asked, the joy never leaving his face.

"Is this how you treat anyone? Specifically the people in charge of making the thing you're about to put in your body?" I shrugged.

"It's your job to make drinks, you're paid to do this, I'm paying for the drink, I'm free to treat you any way I please" he explained. The look in his eyes told me he was just being a dick and would say anything to make me mad. Another part couldn't really tell considering he was a complete stranger and I couldn't read any true emotion in his eyes.

"Get over yourself, that's such a bullshit reason to be a shitty person" I spat, again, without thinking.

His eyebrows shot up and I immediately knew he was talking out of his ass because he found some kind of sick pleasure in getting me riled up.

"Can we just remember who the victim was? Jungle juice assault? Last night? Ringing any bells?" He tried to joke but I couldn't find the same joy in this like he did, let alone any joy at all right now.

"And now you're stood in a cafe where my choice of drink can come hot or iced. I suggest you order something or get the hell out" I huffed, grabbing a rag to wipe down the mess I made earlier when making my friends drinks.

"Wow, you really don't like me" he laughed once I turned around to start wiping down the counter.

"What if it was just a bad night? Alcohol was involved and some random person crashed into me, you can't honestly say that would have been a great interaction for you either" he explained and I felt my body tense up.

I turned around to look up at him again and tilted my head.

"A bad night?" I scoffed and watched him shrug his shoulders.

He was being completely serious.

He was standing before me, trying to justify everything he's done from last night up until now. He lacked manners and walked around as if he ruled the whole damn world.

Sure, a guy like him, he probably did rule the world he lived in.

But he was here in my work space with no one else around to watch his little show. The last thing I was going to do was stand here and be treated like anyone else that walks behind him, kissing his ass.

"I'd rather not continue, whatever the fuck this is, because I don't really want to hear anymore terrible excuses that some campus pretty boy made up for being a terrible person. So, are you ordering or are we done here?" I sighed, feeling completely exhausted from this whole conversation.

The amusement that previously filled his eyes had completely drained and I watched him scan my face for the moment of silence that took over.

"A large, hot mocha, two extra shots of espresso and almond milk...please" he ordered, hesitating his last word as if he were trying to be nice about it but it just came out sounding forced.

For a second I stared up at him to see he was messing with me before I snapped out of it and just rushed to make the drink, trying not to fumble around too much.

I was completely thrown because his entire order, down to the number of espresso shots, was identical to my normal drink.

Except I order mine iced.

I cleared my throat and could feel his eyes on me from behind. The silence was almost drowning me as we both waited for this whole experience to be over.

After I finished his order, I wasted no time sliding it to him and swiping his card as quickly as possible.

"Receipt?" I asked and that gleam that was there when he first took his sunglasses off seemed to spark up again.

"No, thanks" he smirked and picked up the cup.

I watched him slide his glasses back on and walk towards the exit.

One last glance back at me and he was on his way, sipping his drink with a smile.

"Jeez..." I let out a breath and ran a hand through my hair.