16

Evangeline

"A...a diner?" Tristan asked as soon as he put the car in park.

"Best diner in the city, come on" I shrugged and got out of the car, excited to get some of Pete's food in my system. Tristan hesitated to follow me but did anyway and we walked in to find that there were only a few people eating.

"Vangie!" Margaret beamed as soon as we walked in.

"It's been too long! We aren't good enough for you anymore?" She playfully scolded.

"If anything, you're too good for me" I told her and she looked behind me, a smirk forming on her lips.

"Table for two?" She asked and I turned to glance at Tristan who was looking around, taking in the sight.

"Please" I beamed and we followed the older woman to a booth that was in the corner. We slid into our seats and I looked up at Margaret with an innocent grin.

"Margie..." I cooed and she put a hand on her hip, glaring at me, already knowing what I was about to ask her.

"How many have you had already?" She asked and I let out a nervous chuckle. Tristan raised his eyebrows as he watched the both of us.

"Just the one, I swear" I told her and she rolled her eyes.

"Listen you little caffeine freak, anymore coffee for you and you'll drink this city dry of it" she scolded before walking off to grab the fresh pot and two coffee mugs, leaving a couple of menus.

"Wow, the customer service in this city is truly an art" Tristan let out a laugh, scanning the menu.

"Anything on the menu is good, anything Pete makes is good really" I told him, as if I were trying to convince him. Something told me he didn't eat at places like this, considering he tried having breakfast at a restaurant that had valet parking.

"I'll hold you to that Carter" he smirked at me and my cheeks grew warm so I picked my menu up and hid behind it as if I didn't already know Pete would surprise me with any meal.

"Alright, here's your dosage, ready to order sweetie?" Margaret asked Tristan after glaring at me while I happily sipped the hot drink.

"Oh, um...Ladies first, Evangeline" he smiled at the older woman before gesturing to me.

"Ooh, so formal, but um, she's taken care of, Pete is probably cooking up the whole menu for this girl" Margaret chuckled making me blush in embarrassment.

"O-okay, I'll have...the breakfast combo then" Tristan ordered making Margaret grin.

"Coming right up" she beamed, collecting our things and heading to the back.

"You're quite popular here" Tristan pointed out, an amused look in his eye.

"No, it's not that" I denied, scratching my head and grabbing a lock of hair to twirl.

"What is it then?" He asked, leaning over the table and keeping his eyes on me at all times.

"This was my first job" I admitted, smiling at the memory of my first day in here.

"I wasn't old enough to have a real job so I did little things to help out here until I was. Pete had no clue what a 15 year old girl was going to do to help him out here but he found ridiculous tasks for me anyway" I laughed.

"15?" Tristan asked and my eyes met his.

He was fascinated and sympathetic all at once. It was a look I was all too familiar with.

"Yeah, we needed...the money" I cleared my throat and took a sip of coffee. I always felt uncomfortable talking about money or when we were in a rough spot. It just didn't sit right with me burdening others with my own burdens.