Chapter Twenty Three

Confusion is my middle name ;)

Chapter Twenty Three

"What are we doing here?" I say staring at the Victorian building. It stood elegantly and tall. The building was so big. The whole building looks to be carved by hand. It was so beautiful.

I look over to Kyle, who was staring at the building too. "'Cause." Is all he says. He starts walking towards the gates that enclosed the building from the outside world. He pulls out a key and unlocks the lock on the chain.

When he opens the gates he walks forward and motions the rest of us to follow him. I roll my eyes at his lack of answer and take a step forward; but am stopped when a sharp pain goes through my head. I fall forward and hit my head on the gate that was to the side of me. I land on the ground with a hard thud.

I groan when Miles asks what happened. I ignore all the boys' questions when I feel myself going lucid.

The feel the soft cushion of the couch a fell asleep on early. A guard was yelling at me to wake up. He told me that dinner was ready thirty minutes ago.

"You've missed dinner now. You have to wait till tomorrow's dinner." The guard says.

"Athena, did you hear me?" Jesse asks.

"Wha...?" I ask to the boy that was hovering over me.

"I asked how many fingers you see." He says. I turn over and bury my face into the grassy ground. Totally ignoring Jesse's question. I really don't care how dirty I get. My head is pounding like crazy.

"Okay, time to get up. Curfew is now in order." The guard lifts me up off the couch and pulls me out of the commons. He "escorts" me through a maze of hallways until he throws me into my cell and locks the door.

I feel Jesse hoist me over his shoulder and carry me through the now open gate. "What's wrong with her?" I hear a girl voice ask.

"I don't know, but these episodes are happening quite often now." Jesse says in a serious voice.

I wake up from a nightmare of being eaten alive. I hastily get up from the hard bed-or should I say mattress-and run into the cushiony wall.

Bang! Bang! Bang! My head makes music with the wall. I hit it hard enough that I think I feel blood trickling down my face. I don't really know. It's so dark in here. I can't see a thing.

I claw at the cushion. Trying to break free. It's no use; the only thing it did was make the yellow-ish stuffing of the cushion appear.

"What do you think is triggering these episodes?" An elderly voice asks. I feel I'm being set down on a piece of furniture. Maybe a bed?

"I really don't know! She just collapses and blacks-out." Jesse says.

My hands claw some more. They're making lines into letters and letters into words and word into sentences. Repeat. More lines and letters and words and sentences. There's a message. But I can't read it. It's too dark to read.

I run my fingers over the words after my nails stop clawing. I think my nails are bleeding. Maybe they fell off. I don't know. I can't feel anything.

I feel the first letter, then word. Soon. My hands feel the rest of the sentence. Youll. No apostrophe. Be Mine. Soon youll be mine. . Soon youll be mine. . Soon youll be mine. . Soon youll be mine. . Soon youll be mine. Repeats for line after line after line.

"Maybe she just needs to sleep whatever this is, off. She could be just having migraines." The elderly voice comments again. I roll over and groan into the...pillow?