Chapter Twenty Four

*gasp* An update?!

Chapter Twenty Four

I gasp for air. My body felt hot all over. These sheets were suffocating. I hastily throw them off but end up falling off the bed and hitting hard—I hear a groan—something alive.

“Ow.” Jesse says from underneath me. Everything was still black, so I am still blind.

“I’m so sorry, Jesse. Man, I’ve got to stop falling out of bed.” I get up and sit down on the bed. “Why are you on the floor?” I ask.

“Well, we are in a nunnery after all. So everyone has to show proper Christian behavior. And two unwedded people of the different sex sleeping in the same bed isn’t exactly proper Christian behavior.” He explains.

“Makes sense.” I respond. It was nice of him to take the floor instead of going into another bedroom.

“Sister Beth wanted me to tell you when you woke up that you’re moving to another room.” He says.

“What’s wrong with this one?”

“Well, you’re in the hospital part of the convent. I think the bedrooms would better suit you.” I nod and stand up. I start walking forward, but am stop when I run into something hard. I bang my foot and my elbow.

“Yep, no walking by yourself just yet.” Jesse says and then helps me out of the room. “Sister Beth! Athena is awake now!” Jesse yells. We walk a little more down the hallway until I hear the elderly voice—who I guess is Sister Beth—respond.

“Oh good, well follow me.” Jesse guides me to the path of Sister Beth. After a few silent minutes, we stop. “Well this is going to be Athena’s room.” Sister Beth says. I feel a hand pull me from Jesse’s grip.

“You can go now Jesse. I can take it from here.” Sister Beth says and then pulls me into my new room.

“My name is Sister Beth, if you didn’t already know that. I’ve been living in this convent for all my life, so if you need help with anything just call for me and I’ll be here as soon as my arthritis infected legs can carry me. I know about your situation, well I know as much as Kyle told me.”

“Wait, how did Kyle tell you?” I ask.

“Kyle has been coming here almost every night for the past few months now. Hasn’t he told you?” Sister Beth asks.

“Told me what?”

“That he…well maybe I shouldn’t be the one to explain it,” She says. Explain what? What is Kyle keeping from me? “Anyway I have to go tend so other matters, so if you need anything call me or one of the other Sisters.” She finishes, then I hear the door shut. Wow, she just left me like this. I don’t even know where the bed is.

I walk a few steps and then fall onto something cushiony, I guess I found the bed. I groan and get all the way on the bed. Why must things like this happen to me?

Kyle is going have to do some major explaining, though. I knew that he was keeping where he was going away from me, but I never suspected that he would be coming to a nunnery. This is so confusing.

I close my eyes and dream of better days.

***

I got into a lot of trouble because of what I did to the walls. I got yelled at by the guards and got a week without going to the commons. But that week has past and so has many other weeks. It’s been about three months since I’ve been here. It’s gotten easier. I’ve finally accepted that I have a mental problem and the doctor said that was a step closer to getting out of here.