chapter eight

miami, floridasaturday, july 30th11:49 p

miami, florida
saturday, july 30th
11:49 p.m.

                             ——y/n's pov——

It all started with one text message.

On a Saturday night where I was boringly in my bed, studying like it was the last thing I'll ever do in my life. I was studying for Levi Ackerman's exam. Yes—EXAM. Now, these exams are time consuming and gruesome. I heard that it took a student three hours to finish it, and we only have a hour in that class.

So, I obviously have to prepare myself in all ways possible. I've been on Quizlet, made practice tests, and even have a cork board full of notes that I've taken. This is serious. This exam accounts for a huge chunk of my overall grade.

I lie down on my bed after finishing all of my studying, about to turn all the lights off and sleep. Just as I throw the covers on, the ringtone on my phone chimes. None of my friends are usually up by now (because they don't study).

Fumbling around with the covers, I find my phone and bring it to my face. My resting face goes from "meh" to a smile. A smile that says, "I just found out that Levi cancelled our test."

It's from Eren.

But practically at midnight?

eren: are you up right now???

Shortly after, another text rolls in from him.

eren: driving around rn and i'm about to pass your apartment!!

I suddenly acquire this jolt of energy and type carelessly. My fingers move at the speed of light to catch him before he passes my house.

me: IM UP! WHAT DO YOU NEED?

After getting comfortable for nothing, I throw the sheets off and sit up in my bed. The cool air hits my legs and creates little goosebumps along them. It feels like I just drank too much coffee and it's keeping me up.

eren: want to go get coffee? i know it's late but just wanted to know

I get up from my bed and my hands go sweaty. It's as though someone just came up to me and told me I won the lottery. Not even seconds after he texted me, I'm already typing yes and sending it. Realization washes over me and I calm myself down.

No smiling at texts, I think.

He says that he will be waiting outside for me in his car and to not dress up fancy. Okay okay. We're probably going to like Starbucks or something? No, Starbucks closes at like eight?

Just shut the fuck up, Y/n.

I turn on my lights again and look at myself in my vanity. Yeah, no. I can't wear this. I'm wearing a white shirt that says, "Got Milk?" sprawled out in bright red. Plus, I'm wearing shorts that go so far up my ass that they almost disappear.