chapter ten

miami, floridathursday, august 4th10:40 a

miami, florida
thursday, august 4th
10:40 a.m.

——eren's pov——

I'm at school.

But not actually attending class.

Class is in session. Everyone "paying" attention to their teachers drone on and on about whatever they're learning about. Not one class though.

I peer into the window in Levi Ackerman's room. Majority of the students have their heads down scribbling with their pencils. Levi stands in front of the classroom, eyes analyzing each part of the room. He has one hand on his hip with a deep crease between his eyebrows.

It's exam day.

Not that I care, but exam day is very important to Levi Ackerman. There's a shit ton of directions scribbled on the board that are so tiny that I bet the people in the front can't even see them. I listened to Y/n tell me about the upcoming quiz and how she wasn't ready for it. Going on and on about how there's so much to study and that the study guide covers stuff they haven't even learned yet.

She can talk and talk forever.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes we all need those people who can talk until the end of time because we don't know what to say. They keep the conversation going.

And she has good taste in donuts.

From where I'm standing, all the backs of the students are facing me. I find Y/n and her friend, Sasha, with their necks craned down. Y/n runs a hand through her hair and her body goes up slowly like she took a deep breath. She places both hands on her temples.

She's stressed.

Very stressed.

Perk of living with my for majority of my life is gaining the skill to recognize human emotion by insignificant actions. Exhibit a: rubbing of the temples. Signs of stress. Exhibit b: tapping your foot against the floor non-stop. Could be signs of impatience, boredom, or stress. She's doing both of those.

I throw my hoodie over my head and wipe my sweaty palms against my clothes. Tugging on my bottom lip, I lift my hand up to the side of the door. A deep breath leaves me and I brace myself.

Getting one last look around, I see no teachers in the halls or students. It's time.

The fire alarm calls for my hand to just push the little red lever down. The little angel on my shoulder tells me to walk away and forget it. But, the devil on the opposing side whispers in my ear and tells me to do it and run.

Fuck.

Fuck.

FUCK IT!

I raise my hand and pull the lever down. Loud, blaring, sirens go off in the halls and lights start blinking. All of the heads in Ackerman's class shoot up and glance around. This is when I duck down and dart towards to door at the end of the hall.