chapter seventeen

miami, floridasunday, august 14th7:55 p

miami, florida
sunday, august 14th
7:55 p.m.

                               ——y/n's pov——

Being the single friend is not fun.

AT ALL.

It's always third wheeling and double dates you can't attend. It's shit. A few days ago, Mika and Sasha finally told me that they were seeing each other. I obviously knew it. With the side glances, hand holding, and endless cuddling, it was pretty noticeable.

I wasn't surprised. I was happy for them. And the fact that the only people in my friend group (aka: Sasha, Mika, and Annie) are all seeing people, that leaves me. The single friend.

At first, I was a bit skeptical when Mikasa and Sasha asked me if they wanted to hang out. I wasn't up for them just on the edge of fucking the whole time. But when they told me that we would be going to get dinner, I was in. I meannn, you can't fuck at a restaurant..

The clock is on the verge of hitting eight-o-clock and about to step out of my car when a text rolls in. I curse because I can't leave them waiting inside the restaurant. But the irritation is replaced with the feeling of butterflies. Damnit!

eren: are you busy tonight??

I want to say no, but I can't leave or ditch them for a guy. Totally not girl code.

me: yessss. going 2 get dinner with friends

The bubbles pop up on the screen and I'm eager to know what he's going to say. Instead, it's this:

eren: damnittt :( okay have fun and text me when u get home

I frown. I wish it was something more like: "I wanted you to come over." It was not. Because I want to go over to his house to hang out.

What's his definition of hanging out? Does it just mean having sex and then no conversation involved to him? Hanging out for me is spending time with him and enjoying is company. No pointless sex bullshit.

I don't want to be some pointless fuck to him. And I don't want him to think that he can just have sex with me and throw me aside until he's horny again. I want meaningful conversations that make lasting memories. Like the relationships in romance novels and stuff.

I can't have sex with him again.

Then he'll think it's a regular thing and things will just get complicated. I'm not ready for a relationship until the end of college. I promised my parents that I would focus on getting top grades and finding job opportunities. Not getting a boyfriend and putting all my focus into that. My grades would drop and so would my parents' respect for me.

But in the moment, when I'm with him, I do want him. He's all I ever think about. And I would feeling guilty if I couldn't give him what he wanted.

And then if I don't give him what he wants, he will drop me in an instant and go to some other girl. I do not want that to happen. I feel the need to do everything for him and to make him happy.