40

Raven reaches her door as a tear rolls down her cheek. She ignores it, and begins to float into her room.

"Rae!" A voice calls from behind her. It was coming from down the hall. Beast Boy is running towards her. Once he makes it to her room, he stops, panting.

Raven doesn't turn around; she didn't want to face him. "What?" She says, still feeling hurt.

Maybe she shouldn't feel hurt though, Terra was probably a better fit anyways. Beast Boy needed someone who was light hearted and fun. Beast Boy needed someone like Terra. Raven felt as though she was the opposite of that and was only going to bring him down.

"It uhh, it was a misunderstanding." Beast Boy starts, scratching the back of his neck. Raven takes a deep breath as she turns around. Beast Boy breaks eye contact, feeling intimidated to confess now. But the love in his heart overpowered his feelings. "This is actually for you." He smiles.

"For me?" Raven blurts. "But, why? What about Terra?"

"It's for you only." Beast Boy replies.

Raven takes the gift box from his hands after he extends his arms and gestures her to take it. Their fingertips briefly brush, and Beast Boy's cheeks turn pink.

"Thank you." Raven opens the gift box. Inside was a beautiful, golden necklace. The pendant was a deep red ruby. Inside was a little note with sloppy handwriting that read: "What did the ruby say to the diamond?" Then down lower, the answer read: "You're so clear, you make me blush!" Down at the bottom of the note it read. 

You are worth more than rubies to me.

Raven could feel her eyes well up in tears. The gift was so thoughtful and sweet-- Beast Boy was so thoughtful and sweet. Raven had misjudged him. Beast Boy reaches his hand out, taking the note out to reveal a description of the ruby and necklace that looked to be typed out and printed, it read:

Rubies represent the sun which is heart of our universe as well as human persona. This gemstone is a symbol of excellent health, vigor love, passion, and nobility. It also symbolizes devotion. In medieval times, rubies were worn as protection. All rubies are actually rare sapphires and they're rarer than diamonds!

"It may be a small carat necklace, but it was worth it-- you're worth it." Beast Boy says after Raven finishes reading the note. 

"Did you write this?" 

"Uhh--" Beast Boy answers sheepishly, scratching his head. "I may have done a little research. I wanted to give you something special and the ruby has so much meaning that I felt towards you. I didn't quite know how to put it all into words." Beast Boy finishes scratching his head. Raven stares at him, admiring him under her cloak.

"But you hate it don't you-- I'll just--" Beast Boy reaches out to take it back, but Raven pulls it away from him, now holding it close to her chest. 

"No no," Raven starts, "I love it. Thank you Beast Boy." 

It was harder to get these words out than Beast Boy had thought, but there was no going back now. "Raven, you're my sun, the heart in my universe that I can't live without. I want you to know that I will always be there to protect you." Beast Boy says sheepishly, he turns away, his face flushed pink, he couldn't believe he had said all that. He had spoken from the heart and it was the best he could do to express his feelings for Raven. He couldn't look at her now, she must think he was super pathetic and cheesy.

He was overthinking things. How was he so sure she liked him back? Beast Boy doesn't look at Raven. "I'm sorry, I think I've said too much and I made you feel uncomfortable." Beast Boy takes a step away from Raven, but before he can do anything else, Raven's hand slides into his and she gently pulls him back to her.