Chapter 1

Media Citation: Modeling Inspiration—Sheer Material

Media Citation: Modeling Inspiration—Sheer Material. Pinterest. (n.d.). Retrieved July 20, 2022, from https://pin.it/1QsuUxW

Chapter 1

(Adrian)

"It's too dangerous—you know that at least one of you need to stay here in Diurnal, Eamonn—"

"So let it be Da! He's the Alpha—not me! But I'm a Lycan, like Amelia! I understand her! I should go to Breccia!"

"It's not just about Amelia being there. Your Da has business to take of with the packs! The annual fights are going to be very different this year, Eamonn, with all the attacks that are beginning to happen around here! Everyone is going to be on-edge being so close to Palus—"

"Let them be! It won't change my mind—I think she'd want to see me over any of you!"

"Watch how you talk to me, boy—"

"No, Kiana," The step he takes almost has her take a step back. Almost but not quite. "You watch how you talk to me."

"For the love of—" Kiana looks at me in exasperation. Will you deal with your son?

I finish zipping up her luggage and hand it to Mateo. He takes it to the car outside without a word. Eamonn squares his shoulders as I cover the distance between us in three, long strides. He's growing some solid muscle now—I smile at my boy when I grasp his shoulder.

"Kiana is right—so don't you be arguing with her now," I understand his desire to see Amelia. He hadn't seen her since she was taken away by The Order fives years prior. Whereas I had, and so had Kiana. But for all that Eamonn had grown in these years, he still lacked the understanding of the ways of the packs—of the danger we truly are in. He still had that childish belief that he could conquer anything in his path so long as he believed he could. "I need you to be Alpha for me. Nate is going to be down here to watch over things with you—"

"Exactly so—" He stops himself when he sees my Wolf's darkening gaze. Son or not, we won't be interrupted. "Sorry...I—I'll stay."

I wrap my arms around him and hold him close. He sighs against the material of my shirt and doesn't fight me when I plant a sloppy kiss on his cheek. "I'll bring her back. But let me see her first...I need to clear the air between us."

"If she doesn't come with you," Eamonn says through gritted teeth, "Then I'm going. Because she trusts me."

"Eamonn!" Kiana snarls harshly, "Watch your tone with your Da!"