Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Tonight, more than this body part of The Moon was to be witnessed. In this cavern by the sea, hidden in a maze of the cave system, stands the leaders of the greatest war The Wolves have ever known. The Immortals and their children stand on one side of the cavern—the Alphas of The Four Great Packs on the other.

Whispers of the ocean and of the spirits harmonize as the Werewolves watch the two Immortals with guarded expressions.

"We are in agreement, then?" Asena steps forward. Her blond hair glows like ivory in the Moonlight, and wraps around her torso like long drapes of silver armor. She pulls her hood from her head and dispels any of the twisted rumors that she is nothing but an ugly, murderous hag. A pixie-like face, speckled with freckles, and piercing eyes that are the color of a tropical sea.

"We are in agreement," One of the Alphas speak. A female, but all their hoods obscure their faces so the owner remains unknown for the time being.

+           +           +

A man and a woman stand beside the comet. Their heads are bowed. Their clothes are muddy but silky like the robes the Priestesses wear.

The water is lower—this is a time where the tides didn't fully submerge the cavern and The Moon. This is a vision of the place we all stand in but centuries prior.

"Kane," The woman places a hand on his shaking shoulders and she says softly, "We must leave them to rest."

"I know," He shuts his eyes and takes a knee to the damp earth. His hand presses against freshly turned soil. I notice that there are two spots next to the one he touches. "I just...never thought I would ever say goodbye."

"They lived longer than anyone should have. They knew it was a curse to live as Immortals...they knew the pain of watching everyone they loved pass on before them," She touches the spot that is further from the other two. It's an older grave—the soil has hardened with the salt water and bitter temperatures. Her tears flow freely from her cheeks. "But at least your mother went to The Moon before you. It was what she always wanted."

The crunch of heavy footsteps has them both jolt to their feet. Kaltain looms at the entrance of the cavern, staring below at them. Her eyes are cold and her mouth is turned down in a deep frown. Neither Kane or the woman move as she jumps down and lands with a quiet thump. She's clad is blood-crusted armor, and her hair is falling out of its braid.

"You've buried my sisters in a cursed place," She sneers at The Moon that glows dimly beside them. "The Moon did little to help us in life. What causes you to think She will do more for them in death?"

"My mother fought hard to make ammends with The Moon. So did Daciana and Rieka," Kane's teeth are bared, and its obvious that Kaltain is no friend of his. He steps up to the Immortal without little reservation, "You have no right to be here. Your bloodthirst is half the cause of their deaths—"

"Kane! Please!" The woman tugs on his sleeve and holds him back. She glances at Kaltain and bows her head to her, "Kaltain, please. They need a place to rest. You buried my mother here because this is where she wanted to be—"

"Yeah, though I wouldn't know why Rieka would have wanted—"

"Does that part truly matter? She was happy to be laid to rest here...and Asena and Daciana wanted nothing more than to be reunited with their sister."