Chapter 10*

Hi all!! Thanks so much for your patience! Here is a nice, long chapter for y'all! Readers discretion is advised, as there is violence in this chapter!

Chapter 10*

When I emerge from the throng of Wolves, it's at the Healer's tent. Several Breccian healers run about, tending to the incredible amounts of Wolves. All who are there had mostly minor injuries—ones that they can't quite walk off but don't require a visit to the pack doctor.

As I make my way through the cots, Wolves bow their heads to me. Those few ones that hold out their hands smile in surprise when I take their hand and squeeze it. Just as Sashi taught me, I trace the sign of the Three Goddesses over their shut eyes. The waxing crescent, the full moon, and the waning crescent. Just like the inscription on my pupil and on Steph's wooden box.

I look up again. Among those running about in the chaos is the one directing its flow. Mallory. She must have sensed someone's eyes on her, because she turns around and smiles at me.

"High Prophet," She comes towards me with open arms. Bowing her head, she holds out her hand just as Luna Everleigh had, "I was hoping you'd stop by my tent."

I grab her hand and pull her toward me. She is all too happy to hug me. "Hi, Mallory. It's been a while."

"It has been," She smiles, "You have quite a few more chains than you did the last time I saw you. And if I recall, you were wearing the white robes back then."

Save for Adrian, Mallory was the only one who visited me during my training. Other than the tenuous relationships I formed with the Prophets and the Sentinels she had been the one who was my mentor. She always has been, and she hasn't let me down. Mallory taught me to the very end.

I glance around the tent, "Well, put me to work."

She smirks, "Pack politics already boring you?"

Instead of replying, I just shrug. To be honest, I'm not just running away from Adrian and the Diurnal Betas. I'm tired of all the ogling and undeserved awe they all look at me with. They either thought me as some kind of anti-hero or saw me as some kind of savior. I'm neither. I'm just...me. Or at least that's what I want to be.

"I would love to have you work here—but I have a couple patients who need further attention up at the clinic. You think you could handle one or two stitches and fracture resets?" Mallory walks with me to the edge of the tent.

That suits me very well, actually. I can have Mansel search the clinic while I tend to the patients, "Yes, of course."

"Great. I'll send them up with one of the Breccians."

"Mallory," I call her back before she goes too far, "Do you mind if I take a look around the clinic? I left a few things there that I would like to finally take back."

"Sure thing, kid," She smiles before she goes back into the thick of the crowd.

As I walk up the hill to the back entrance of the clinic, Mansel speaks, "Do you want me to look for it?"

I try not to look surprised when I glance at him. He's so quiet that it's hard to forget he's always beside me. Like a shadow.

"No," I shake my head, "I have to find it. I need to touch the objects to know if they're right or not."

"Well, I can help you in the clinic then. Serani just had us all brush up on some extensive first aid and such."

"Sounds good." I pause when we reach the top of the small, muddy hill. Mallory's clinic stands tall and homely as it always has. The garden grows beautifully and untamed. I remember the days where I helped Mallory cut it back and organize the herbs. The times that I held Eamonn's hand as he explored the garden whenever he came with Adrian to Breccia.