*Chapter 8

Thanks for your patience, folks! I've been really sick the past week (not COVID lol), but we are back with our regular update!!

Enjoy a little spicy, flashback chapter 🌻

*Chapter 8

Germany, Three Years Ago..

"You get a lot of stares, little wolf," As always, Adrian feels like a giant beside me. The other Wolves must think so too, because they shrivel away and stare at him in awe. "Not that I can blame them. It's hard to miss someone as beautiful as—"

"Adrian, please," He flinches by my quiet voice. It hurts to speak, and a couple days prior, I hadn't been able to. Serani's whip has damaged more than just the skin on my back. "They're looking at you, not me. You're a skyscraper."

"You're stunning. Don't give me that look, Amelia. It's true—"

"I look like a worn-in rag," You'd think my spit is venom when all the Sentinels surrounding us move into formation. Any sign of agitation from me and they'll descend like a pack of dogs.

"High Prophet," Mansel approaches me but his glare is on Adrian.

"We're fine," I hold my hand up and they all ease. Adrian eyes them all, and takes a quick peek over his shoulder. He doesn't think I see him check on Kiana and Mac, but I do, "They won't hurt them, Adrian. They're here to keep me from exploding."

"So," He won't take his eyes off of Mansel, "How is your training coming along, my dear?"

Even after all this time, his pet names make my cheeks turn red. I can't resist him anymore, and draw closer. But just as I do, a familiar figure appears in the distance. He's barrelling towards me.

"It's going well—uhm—give me a second—"

Adrian doesn't know what to say when the little cloaked figure tackles my legs and nearly knocks me over. He's no more than two and a half, but he stumbles around on his feet so well now. But I have no time to admire how far my sweet gem has come along.

Adrian has seen him.

Tension saturates the air we breathe, but the little boy in my arms is completely unaware. My heart has forgotten how to beat as I hold him close.

"Ma—"

"Where is Prophet Celina?" I hush him. Kiana and Mac crane their heads in an attempt to get a better look at him.

"CeCe!" His voice is muffled against my cloak as I cling onto him.

"Rowan," It's a struggle to keep my voice from shaking. She steps away from the formation just as the Prophet of Spring comes frantically along.

"My apologies, High Prophet," She bows deeply to me just as the boy tries to pull away from me, "He slipped away while we were meditating—"

"Who that?" He points at Adrian and I want to pass out. The ground doesn't feel as solid anymore as Adrian's green eyes take in the tiny bundle in my arms.

"I'm Adrian, little one," He begins to bend over to touch him but I jerk us both away.

"Leave us now." I fix the hood around his little head and pass him to Rowan. I thank The Goddesses that his hood hadn't fallen down. He waves at me and I squeeze his little hand, "Please keep a better eye on him."

Celina all but falls to her knees in submission, "My apologies, Pr—"

"You will be if he is left unattended again. Go now," My rage is suddenly all-encompassing. He could have been hurt. That very thought turns my blood cold. The fact that Adrian has now seen him makes me want to whip her right now. "I will deal with you later, sister—"