Chapter 28*

This chapter contains mature themes. Viewer's discretion is advised.

Chapter 28*

After I accidentally fell asleep in the bathtub and cause Mansel an aneurysm, Beta Dawson leads me to my room without a word. It's a sharp contrast to every other Diurnal Wolf I've had a moment alone with. It's pleasant. As someone who has always been prone to the introverted side of doing things, I prefer this comfortable silence. Small talk takes so much energy sometimes.

"Let me know if there's any issues, High Prophet," He says after he opens the door for me. It's a small room with cream walls and a large window seat. It reminds me of my childhood room. "If I'm not around, please don't hesitate to get one of my Sentries to wake me."

"That's very kind of you, Beta, but unnecessary. A room to sleep and perform my daily prayers is more than enough," He's a very sweet man—more or less the same age as Adrian. They're drastically different in appearance. While Adrian looks more like a model-turned-mountain man, Beta Dawson has a youthful appearance about him.

"Would you...?" He starts to turn bright pink, and I begin to smirk. My Wolf wags her tail in amusement—what does he want, our autograph?

"Go ahead, Beta. I'm here to help you as much as you're here to help me."

"I was hoping you would host a ceremony for our settlement before you leave tomorrow, but I know that you must be tired from your traveling. We don't have a ceremony hall like the main settlement—we usually gather in the training grounds whenever a Prophet visits us."

His embarassment over the lack of having a hall has me smiling, "Not a problem. Alpha Adrian wanted to leave at eight, but I'll see if we can push it out a little."

His grin overtakes his face. After another exchange of thank-you's and bows, he disappears down the hallway we came through. I shut the bedroom door behind me and begin to undress.

Mansel's voice rings through my head just as I finish unclipping my sash from my waist. Perimeter is clear. I'll be staying in the guardhouse just across from packhouse.

Thank you, Mansel. We may be staying later tomorrow to hold a prayer ceremony with these Wolves.

Okay. I can imagine him curling up on one of the chairs in the watch tower and scanning the area. Not once have I seen Mansel sleep—if it weren't for Rowan, I would think that Sentinels don't sleep at all. Good night, High Prophet.

Sleep tight. I tug off my boots and stretch my toes. After I fold up my robes and veil, I stretch my muscles out. I'm nowhere near as flexible as I used to be when I was dancing, but Sashi insisted that I continued to stretch and practice a yoga routine. She argued that it would help center my mind, and after dealing with everything these past five years, I'm glad I listened to her.

Give or take twenty minutes later and a phone call to Rowan, my body and mind are far more relaxed. The Moon shines above the pine trees. Not a cloud in sight, which puts me at ease.

I set off to find Adrian's room, which is surprisingly difficult despite the size of this packhouse. With no ability of scent, it's next to impossible to find him.

"Adrian?" I knock on one of the bedroom doors that is hung ajar. I can smell only a hint of the main packhouse from this room. To my astonishment, Mac opens the door in little more than a towel, "Oh shit—sorry, Mac."

He chuckles as I avert my eyes, "It's alright, lass. But I'm afraid Adrian and I aren't snuggling up in the same room tonight."

"Do you know where—"