Chapter 19

Chapter 19

It takes a lot of self-control not to let my eyes wander up to Adrian's office window.

Several of my Sentinels follow me a couple paces behind, careful not to step on my ceremonial robes as they trail behind me. Sweat runs down my temples and I let the heavy cloak fall from my shoulders. The cool, Alaskan air quickly brings my heart rate down but I feel drained.

"It was a beautiful ceremony, High Prophet," Robert says quietly, to which I offer him a smile.

After careful disucssion with Mansel, we agreed it would be best to let Robert believe his cover as Serani's spy hadn't been blown. If I sent her final spy home before Rowan arrived then who knows what she'd do.

He steps forward and offers me a bottle of orange juice, "You must have a lot of power to carry several without the brothers and sisters."

Normally, I can perform a Summoning Ritual to The Moon by myself without issue. Being one of the primary priestesses gives me access to a boundless amount of The Moon's energy. But I have been hosting them in every pack for the past several weeks, and it's beginning to take its toll on me. That and the persistent search for this damned object or clue I've been searching for has sapped me of my energy.

I discreetly wipe the blood that persistently drips from my nose, "That's kind of you, Robert. But I only act as a conduit for Hekate—she's the one with the power, not me."

"Bullshit," Mac appears out of nowhere. He trades my orange juice with a steel flask. I glance down at it and can already smell the strength of the contents with the cap on. "You've got a scary amount of power on top of what The Moon has gifted you with, lass."

I don't answer him even though he's correct. The Darkness is my power and mine alone—not a manifestation of Hekate's. But without her divine energy, I wouldn't be able to stabilize my own. Which is why I have to play it safe and reserve the rest of her power I channel to keep mine under wraps.

"It was beautiful, though," Mac takes the flask back when he sees that I have no intention of drinking from it. He takes a small sip and barely blinks, "I feel lighter already."

Robert opens his mouth to snap, but I only laugh, "That makes one of us. I need a place to sit."

"Legs feeling like rubber, huh?" He guides me towards the kitchen. I lift my hand to stop my Sentinels from lashing out.

"He is fine."

"Prophet, no one is to be in close proximity of you." One of their voices echoes in my head.

I shake my head and continue with him by my side. As we head inside, I can't resist the urge to look up in Adrian's office.

"He's not there, lass," Mac's voice almost makes me jolt. "He came to the ceremony—went out to check in on the Sentinels about halfway through."

I already know this, but say nothing.

"Looking for Adrian?" Kiana asks as we come inside. She sets a plate of food in front of me as soon as I fall onto the barstool, "Sorry I missed your blessing, Amelia—I have kitchen duty today, and you know what that's like for this pack."

"One minute late and they all start eating their young?" The joke catches her by surprise, but she quickly begins to laugh.

"Somet'ing like that," She slaps the hand of one of the juveniles who's about to eat the bacon he's been cooking up, "Oi, Alfie!"

"Sorry, Beta," He smiles sheepishly at us. His tail practically wags when I hand him a piece from my plate, "Thank you, High Prophet."

I watch them all hustle and bustle in the kitchen for a while. My Sentinels all take a seat in the lounge behind me, happily sipping on the coffee that Kiana whipped up for them. I feel the tension from my body leave the longer I watch them all. A sense of harmony and content floats in the air along with the smell of food.