Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Mira is looking exquisite as she always does. Her hair is much shorter now, shaved almost to the skull. She stands tall and broad, built like a lithe tank beside her mate. Ilya is the friendly giant he has always presented himself as. His arm is around her waist protectively, though, as if he's nervous.

They know that I know about what they had done. What they had covered up.

Mansel stands outside the car door and wraps the tinted window with his knuckles. Slated eyes and guarded expressions are our armor.

I open the door and cover my face with the black veil. I'm shielded from the biting cold of the Oregon breeze by my black cloak. The thin, dark robes I wear let my footsteps be heard. Ching, go the chains like the soft tinkering of bells. Ching, go the chains like the sound of blades running against one another.

Zemira's image flashes through my mind as I walk towards the pack leaders. We're almost mirror images of one another now—and perhaps we always had been.

Each footstep closer makes their necks bend and their foreheads heavier. For once in their lives, they'll understand what it feels like to bow to a presence stronger than their own.

Humility is a lesson I gladly teach them.

When I stop before them and pull down my hood, their eyes drop to my feet first. Then, starting with Mira and the Oberon Alpha, Luca, they meet my eyes. One by one, I meet their gazes and bow my head in unison with theirs.

"Amelia," Mira smiles. Mansel grunts disapprovingly, and she amends herself, "Prophet."

They helped put us in these chains. Iphigenia snarls. And now she can't even acknowledge the position you hold.

"Alpha," It takes too much energy to swallow my Wolf's irritation and keep a straight face.

She clears her throat after she stares into my eyes for too long, "We're glad you've come home. Especially at such a memorable event."

I look out at the fields, which are empty of fighters. Most of the Wolves are gathered just behind their Alphas and Lunas. I hadn't expected such a warm welcome, but it's a positive sign.

"The Goddesses shine down on you all," My words carry across the crowd, which quickly hushes any remaining murmurs. I stretch out my arms towards them, as I had seen Sashi done so many times before when preaching, "Thank you for coming today. This year's fight is all the more important to the Northwestern Packs given our current conflict with Palus and those who want to destroy our way of life."

"High Prophet," An older man in the front swoops down to his knee. His bow is moving, especially as he supports himself against his cane.

His grandchild follows him in kind. "High Prophet."

"High Prophet."

Many follow their actions. The thunderous rumble of hundreds of Wolves growling out to me rattles against my bones.

"High Prophet." The earth can barely take the impact of so many knees falling upon it. Soon, hundreds of Wolves from several different packs are bowing to me.

"High Prophet."

These Wolves will die for Their Moon. It's a realization I've had many times before, and it is often my only solace in this grave situation. With Orion growing just as strong as I am, my only advantage is the Wolves that will stand behind me and The Order.

I cross the crowd with the symbol of the Triple Goddesses, "May you be guided by Her Light when you are lost. May you be nurtured by Her Nature when you are hurt. And may you be delivered by Her Darkness when your time has come to join The Moon as one of Her Stars."