Chapter 15

Chapter 15

France, 3 years ago...

"So these Helios...what exactly are they?"

I look up at Adrian, dressed in his wool trench-coat. His hands are tucked in his pockets and his hair is messy from the winter winds. We walk past the room that has been provided for me to hold meetings in this pack. It's bugged—I'm sure of it. That or I'm far too paranoid to even think straight enough to conduct any assemblies there in the first place.

Instead, we walk to the room that I had discovered as the Luna's secret parlor. She had granted me access to it yesterday before I went to bed.

"How did you get permission to this room, Amelia?" Kiana asks as I produce the key the Luna had lent me, "It only holds the Luna and her sister's scents."

"She was my father's mate," I enter the room but no one follows me. They all stare at me with their jaws hung open. I shrug and provide the simplest explanation to the revelation that had me reeling just as they are now, "Apparently she met him when he was sailing across the world. He and his crew were racing across the ocean—she was on another team from France. When she realized that he wasn't aware of the Wolves and was happily married, she didn't force the issue."

"But...how in The Moon's name does she know you're his daughter?" Mac attempts to wipe the drool from his chin, "No offense, lass, but you no longer smell like you used to. Just of silver."

"She kept tabs on him," I say it nonchalantly, but in truth, it's something I'm still processing. The Luna of this small French pack, Éclipse, is my father's mate. Was...my father's mate. And she willingly sacrificed her own longing and Bond to let him remain happy and at peace with the life he had built as a human. "The Helios are weapons enchanted with a combination of Seline and Artemis's power to subdue the power of Darkness. Each Great Pack—"

"Has one, yes," Adrian jumps on board with the change of subject, but his furrowed brow tells me that he does it only for my sake. He ushers Kiana and Mac inside quickly and shuts the door behind him, "We had our own. I gave it to The Order years ago, when I first became Alpha."

"Why did you?" All the other either Great Packs kept or lost theirs. And those who have lost possession of their Helios are in desperate search of them.

His answer is so simple, "Well there was really no need for Diurnal to hold onto it. It was an old relic that was really just a reminder of The Great War and mistrust between the Lycans and Werewolves."

"Yes, I suppose that holding onto that would have been odd—being that your mate was a Lycan, and so is your son." Cynbel was more than a Lycan, though. We had long discovered that she had been The High Prophet of Artemis—my counterpart before she was viciously murdered by Orion. Without thinking, I let my thoughts be verbalized, "I just don't understand why Orion killed her...she was a High Prophet—he would have needed her alive in order to destroy The Moon. Why risk waiting for another to be born?"

"If all three of you are needed to make a pathway to The Goddesses, then it makes sense. Your power hadn't been awoken yet, and the High Prophet of Hekate had been long considered lost. It's most likely why none of us had ever really heard of a raging, psychotic prick like Orion trying to kill our Goddesses," Mac's snappy growl brings me back to the world of thinking before speaking. "We got rid of the Helios. Big deal—at least you know where it is, lass. Can't say the same for the others."

Adrian shakes his head, but Kiana is the one who fires back, "Our pack had enough warring and bloodshed, Amelia. The Helios was in better hands with The Order and more use to them. We wanted Diurnal to be a haven, and having that thing there wouldn't send that message."