Chapter 11

A/N: Officially the end of the hiatus!! Welcome back to the hot mess that is Amelia!

Chapter 11

North Carolina, 1945...

My heels clack against the brick paving of the military base. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. United States of America.

"Captain," Two females salute me as I pass by.

I don't stop my brisk pace until I reach the Lieutenant Colonel's office. Knocking on the door, he calls for me to go inside. Shutting the door, I don't waste any time. I walk straight up to him and reach for what is in my pocket.

"Take this," I hand him the key. His fingers curl over it and he looks up at me with those glassy eyes. He will never cry though. He is a pillar of strength and fortitude. It is one of the many reasons I love him.

He looks at the key and murmurs, "You don't have to go."

"I do," My voice breaks. I break, because no one—not even he—will understand how much love I hold for him and the life we have created together.

I had never thought it was possible for a Wolf to fall in love with a human. But I have. I have fallen so madly in love with Max Kenzington. He is my life and my soul, even if he isn't my mate.

"There is a box in my personal effects. In my footlocker," I can't resist the urge to touch his hand, "It has the silver bracelets in there. It will block their Wolves—our children will never be found, and they will never know what they are. He can never find them, and neither can The Order."

I have managed to keep my life a secret during the Second World War. But as the Allies draw closer to victory, I know that it's only a matter of time before The Order continues its search for me. These eight years have been so glorious...but this is not what I was born to do.

The Prophet of Death has no place among the humans. I belong in my world. With the Wolves.

He brushes his hand over my cheek, running a hand over my short, dyed hair. The silver is beginning to grow out, and I have no intention of covering it up. There is no need anymore.

We both shut our eyes and lean against one another. I love you. I'll miss you. I'll never forget you.

"I've got transfer orders..." He murmurs. I watch his lips form over his Southern drawl, "Back to South Carolina."

"That's good," I can't stop the tears that ran down my cheeks, "The kids can be close to your parents. They love them so much."

"What do I tell them?" He whispers, "You can't just make people disappear."

I think about the deal I made with Hekate. Hide my children and I will return. In the end, she won either way. She got me back. After I die, she would be able to conceal Iphigenia from her sisters like she always wanted. But I hardly care—I just want my children to live a normal life.

"It was a fire," I kiss him briefly, meeting his eyes, "Nothing was left behind. It all went down in flames. The Order will make sure they find a body."

"Breanna," He cups my face and sucks in a deep breath.

"Hide my children, Max," I cry, "Make them all wear those bracelets. They are never to take them off. There are enough to last generations—especially if you stipulate that they are passed on."

He nod, "What does the box look like?"

I think about the wooden box I left behind. A small, wooden chest with the symbol of my Goddesses on it. A waxing crescent, a full moon, and a waning crescent. On the inside is the inscription—To the Moon-Touched.