seventeen

For a change of scenery, Anastasia was at Buck's apartment on one of their free days.  He had just come back from baby-proofing Howie and Maddie's apartment, so Anastasia was spread out on his bed up the stairs while he did something in the kitchen.  "Where'd you get this speaker from?  I really like it."  Anastasia asked, loud enough to be heard both down the stairs and over the music.

Buck, who was now retreating back up the stairs with snacks in hand, responded, "I think Amazon.  I got it when all the COVID stuff started." 

Using her elbows to prop herself up, Anastasia watched as Buck jumped beside her.  Rather than creating a slight dip that had her at an angle, Buck made her topple over into his lap.  Which was obviously an accident and totally something he wasn't enjoying.  "You're evil for that, Buckley."

"Yet you love me anyways, Valdez."  Was all he replied.  When he opened up one of the bags of chips he brought up, there was a knock on the front door that made him groan.  "Are you expecting someone?"  He accused

"No, I don't even live here."  Anastasia stated.  However, it didn't really mean much given that Buck has stayed over at her house so much that her neighbors have been asking her how long they've been together. Anastasia was still on his bed when she heard the front door open, and heard Buck announce that it was just his sister. "Hi, Maddie! How are you and the baby?"

"We're doing good. Still don't know if it's a boy or girl though because the baby was like mooning us in the sonogram."

"Oh, that doesn't sound comfortable." Anastasia commented.

While the girls were talking about new baby clothes and the ultrasound pictures, Buck just stood off to the side. "Not that I don't want you here, but why are you here? I was just at your apartment."

"I came to talk about the thing, and I thought you weren't comfortable enough to explain it in front of Chimney." Maddie said.

Anastasia looked between the two, Buck who looked absolutely confused, while Maddie looked ready for conversation. "This seems like a family thing. I'll go back upstairs and put on headphones." She stated, slowly excusing herself to go hide in Buck's "room". Buck thought Anastasia probably knew about the thing Maddie was talking about, but he did find it admirable that she was giving them family privacy.

"So now that we're alone, tell me the truth."

Buck shrugged and lifted himself onto the island counter.  "There's nothing to tell."  He said.  "You know, it's all your fault."  He said again, this time a look off hurt coming across Maddie's face.  "Because you called me sad and lonely."

Maddie's face softener the slightest bit at his explanation, a little relieved because she thought maybe she did some thing growing up that led to him needing therapy.  "Evan, that was months ago."

He nodded his head, but still went on to explain himself.  "I know, but that's the kind of thing that sticks with you.  I mean, you weren't wrong. Even after I finally said my piece to Abby, I thought I'd be better, but I still felt—"

"Sad and lonely?"

Again, Buck nodded his head.  "It's not a big deal. She doesn't know, but Stas was the one who got me to thinking about it because she's been through it.  It's normal and I'm fine.  I'm just trying to be fine-er."

Both of the Buckleys looked up to the stairs, since his bed was visible from the kitchen, and saw Anastasia's feet dangling and swinging over the edge with the faint sound of her humming.  "I'll admit, you do look a lot happier."  Maddie muttered before turning back to her baby brother, who was still looking up the stairs with a dopey smile on his face.  "Not sure if it's all because of the therapy.  Still sure she's not your secret girlfriend?"