thirty two

After everything that happened, that was thankfully the end of their shift.  Everyone showered and left the station in a hurry, exhausted from the last call, both emotionally and physically.  Buck and Anastasia left together, as always, but this time with a baby bag and heavy hearts. 

When they got to the hospital, they found the room Maddie was in and waited outside for Chimney.  "Hey, where'd you get that?  Is Albert here with you?" Howie looked at the two expectantly. He was still living in the excitement of being a new father, still pretty giddy and on a sort of adrenaline high ever since Maddie pushed out his daughter. And here the couple came, with news that was just going to destroy every ounce of happiness Howie was currently feeling.

Anastasia and Buck glanced at each other, and despite their masks covering half of their faces, Chimney could tell it was a bad look.  "He's here, Howie, but not with us."

He looked at the two in confusion, not understanding what they were alluding to. Without knowing what happened, what they said made absolutely no sense. Did he drop them off and leave the hospital? But even that made no sense because Albert was family, and family was obviously going to meet Howie's new daughter.

"We found his car ahead of the crash after you left.  He's in the hospital, but he has his own room."

"Albert was part of the crash?"

The couple nodded their heads in response, watching as Chimney's mood did a 180, obviously within reason. This went from being one of the most important events and days of his life, to him finding out his brother may be dying. "He's alive, Chim, but he's not awake yet. We just talked with the doctors, but they don't know when or if he's waking up."

"We're sorry, Chim."

"N-no, don't be sorry.  You guys found him, that's what matters, thank you."  Chimney told them.  "Do you mind if I go see him?  I don't want to leave Maddie alone."

"Of course, go ahead. I want to see my favorite niece anyways."  Buck cheesed.  The couple watched Howie speed to the nurse's station, finding out what room his brother was in before disappearing down a different hallway.  Anastasia and Buck walked closer to Maddie's room, where she had her baby girl cradled to her chest, and smiled behind their masks. "I know I can't hold her yet, and as much as it pains me, I'm here and we come bearing gifts." Buck said to announce their presence.

He set the packed baby bag beside Maddie's bed for easy access, her flowers and congratulatory balloons were set on a dresser across from her bed near the window, and the teddy bear he and Anastasia bought was handed over to Maddie directly.  Once everything was settled, the couple took a seat on the couch off to the side of the bed, keeping their distance for the baby's safety.  "How are you feeling, how was it?"  Anastasia asked.

"Oh, horrible, yet beautiful at the same time.  Like I never want to do it again, but also wish I could relive the experience."  Maddie explained, looking down at her newborn with nothing but adoration.  "Look at her tiny feet!  She's so... perfect."

"Well, she is half Buckley. I expect nothing less."  Buck commented with a smug smile beneath his mask.

Both Anastasia and Maddie shook their heads at his very "Buck" response. Despite the rocky relationship he had with his parents for a large portion of his life, Buck took great pride in himself and his background, his origin story if you will.  His adventures around the country, and parts of Mexico, were personal favorites for Anastasia. 

Every so often when they'd spend nights together after shifts, she'd bring it up, and he'd always have something new to tell her.  She just loved how he experienced so much and got to see so many things on his own journey of finding himself before he settled on a career.  Meanwhile, she was falling asleep in the university library and under constant stress. Had it not been for all the serial crime cases across the country, she wouldn't have traveled much.