twenty nine

Anastasia's family in Miami and Bobby knew of the relationship, so the couple decided they could slowly start letting the people in their lives know.  Maddy was of course the first, so to make sure Howie couldn't spoil it, it was just her having lunch with the two in Buck's apartment. 

"You guys are acting weird, I don't like it." Maddie commented. Buck had just made sandwiches, a big salad, and soup, so the meal didn't take long to eat, however it felt longer because of how quiet everyone was being.  "Is this the part where you tell me you're dating?"

"Wha— how'd you know?"

"Buck, you invited me to a secret lunch with you two. If this was friendly, everyone would be here, but it's just you two. Sitting on the other side of the table together. Looking suspicious."  Maddie said, looking at the two with her eyes squinted.  "And you're my baby brother, Evan.  I know when you're lying and when you're hiding things."

Buck looked a little defeated, but it was a relief that he didn't have to find a way to ease towards the conversation.  "Don't tell Howie though, please.  We're telling everyone next shift, except Bobby.  We had to tell him for safety reasons."

"Yeah, there's policies sometimes about people dating in the same department, but we broke no rules."  Buck certified.  Since Maddie knew now, he took their hands from holding under the table to resting on top. "So... how's Baby Buckley doing?"

"Don't change the subject, Evan. How many months have you been together?" Maddie asked, all of them abandoning their plates of food because of the new conversation topic.

Buck and Anastasia looked at each other, then back to Maddie so Anastasia could answer. "3 months officially."

"Oh, I honestly thought you guys got together like when you moved here. I thought you were just lying to everyone since before COVID about how you were just friends."  She spoke honestly to the couple.  "I'm happy you waited though, that means he's serious."  She said, mainly talking to Anastasia. 

Even though she didn't know of them officially dating until recently, she definitely saw how happy Anastasia made her little brother.  Ever since they were little, that's all she wanted for Evan.  "I would hope so.  I'm serious about him too."  Anastasia stated, looking Buck in the eye as she did so.  "You know, I thought this would be a lot more nerve wracking since we've only met a few times."

Buck shrugged nonchalantly, still keeping hold of Anastasia's hand on the table.  "I told her it would be fine."

"No you didn't."  Anastasia accused with her jaw dropped.  "You were freaking out, that's why I was freaking out."

"Um I was completely calm because I know Maddie."

"Don't gaslight me, Buckley.  You literally said—"  Maddie sat across the table in amusement, watching the two banter like an old married couple about something so small as an earlier conversation they had. 

As they bickered back an forth about whether or not Buck was calm this morning, Maddie continued eating as if she was on the living room couch watching a reality TV show.  All that was running through Maddie's head, other than how good the food surprisingly was given that it was made by Buck, was that they were definitely made for each other.  And somehow, the universe was proving that by allowing Buck to take a better approach to the relationship.  Everything he's done so far just showed Maddie that this wasn't another short term relationship for him.

× × ×

Walking into the station and knowing that by the end of the shift, everyone would know of their relationship was nerve racking for both Buck and Anastasia. However, they did love the future pros that would follow the conversation, such as how they wouldn't have to hide their holding hands, or stress about making sure they gave each other the same amount of attention they gave everyone else in the station.