Admirers

A Few Hours Later
10 p.m.

I stretch my body out and am startled when I see a buck head staring at me.

"Oh, that's right. I was going to bring you to Storm." I tell him as I stretch some more.

I grab his antler with my teeth and lift him up. He seems heavier than he was earlier. I must be imagining that.

I take my time as I walk to Storm's cabin. I don't want to run there because I'm still tired from the hunt.

When I finally get to her cabin, I see a light coming from inside the cabin. She's still awake, this is good. I'll get to see her reaction to my present.

I walk up the steps and set the buck head a few feet from the door. I bang my shoulder into the door a few times before retreating behind the buck head.

"Who's there?" She asks while opening the door. Oh great, she has her gun pointed at me again.

"Oh, it's just you." She says while holstering her weapon. "And you brought me a gift." She walks forward and picks the head up.

"It's a shame that I didn't get to kill him myself. But thank you." I just grin at her and wag my tail. She's amazing.

A face pokes out from beside her. It's that dog! "Leave her alone you dirty wolf." He growls at me. "Cowboy quit it." She smacks her leg into him.

"Yeah Cowboy, quit growling at me." I mock him in the language of the canine. If I talked normally, Storm would understand me. "You're so lucky Storm is here otherwise I'd rip into you." Like this little dog could hurt me.

I flash him my fangs and he flashes his back. Little dog has a backbone, that's good. That means he'll protect my mate when I'm not around.

"Thank you wolf. Come on now Cowboy, it's time for bed." She ushers him inside and shuts the door behind her.

I turn around and walk down the steps. I slowly start to walk back to my den. It was nice to see her even though it wasn't for very long.

Storm's Pov.
Next Day

As I drive towards town, the image of the wolf flashes in my mind. Why can't I stop thinking about this damn wolf?!

He almost killed me, helped me through a PTSD episode, sat in my yard, and then brought me a buck head. None of those are reasons for me to be constantly thinking about him.

I blink hard and shake the wolf from my mind. I need to focus on driving, I don't have time to think about the damn wolf.

Ten Minutes Later

I park my truck and we hop out. Cowboy is close on my heels as I open the door. "Storm, get over here. I got something for you." Grandpa gestures me forward.

I walk up to him and I spot a large box on the counter. "This is for you." He pats the box and grins at me.

I go up on my tiptoes and open the box. Inside is lots of shirts and pants. "What's this for?" I ask with astonishment.

"The other day you were complaining about having nothing to wear. So I went out and bought you some clothes that would fit."

"Grandpa, thank you so much!" I love my Grandpa to death. "You are my favorite granddaughter." "I'm your only granddaughter."

I take the box out to my truck and come back in with a grin. Three little kids are following close behind me. Cowboy's admirers are here in other words.

As soon as the four of us are inside, Cowboy runs right past me and stops in front of them. Six little hands reach out and pet him.

I walk behind the counter and stand beside Grandpa. "That's so sweet. I'm glad people like him." I tell Grandpa. "Just you wait, soon enough Cowboy won't be the only one with admirers." He smirks and elbows me gently.

I can't believe this old man is saying I'm gonna have admirers. He's crazy!

"Grandpa, I won't have admirers. I don't get out enough for that." "That's why I'm closing at four today. That way you can get out and meet some people." Oh great.

"No, you don't have to do that. I can stay and work until six like normal." I argue with him. "Storm, work ends at four and you're going to go out and meet some people." This little old man can sure argue.

"Stom, can I has some candy?" A little girl in a pink dress asks from in front of the counter. "Of course Eva." I reach into the candy box on the counter and pull out three suckers.

"Now Eva, give the other kids a sucker. They aren't all for you." I tell her when I hand her the suckers. "Okay." She smiles up at me and that's when I notice her front two top teeth are missing.

"Thank you Stom!" She yells gleefully as she hands the other kids their suckers. "You're welcome!" I say with a smile.

The three kids pet Cowboy with one hand and hold their suckers in the other. "I lo'e you Cowboy." The little boy in a blue shirt and green shorts says before burying his face in Cowboy's side.

I hope Bart didn't have anything sticky on his face, otherwise Cowboy will be in need of a bath when we get home.

"I lo'e him more!" The other little boy in a red shirt and black shorts declares. "I lub him the mostest!" Eva says, pulling Cowboy away from Bart and Liam.

Three five year olds fighting over who loves Cowboy the most has to be the funniest and cutest damn thing ever.

"Alright kids, that's enough fighting." I walk out from behind the counter with a stern look. All three stop arguing and look at me like deer in the headlights.

"If you three keep fighting, I'm not gonna let you in to see Cowboy for a week." Their eyes go wide and they gape at me.

"We be good. We be good." Liam says. "Y'all better be." I give them a look I assume their mothers would give them.

"Liam, mommy's outside!" Bart tugs on Liam's shirt and points towards the window. "There you two are. I was wondering where you guys went." Sienna Burke says as she walks through the door.

"Mommy! Stom ga'e us candy." Liam proclaims while showing Sienna his half gone sucker. "And we petted Cowboy." Bart buts in.

"That's cool boys. Now we have to go home to Daddy." She takes them by the hand and guides them out the door.

"Eva, is your mom going to come get you?" I kneel down to her level and look her in the eyes. "Mommy don't know I here." Oh child, what am I going to do with you?

"How about I bring you to your Mommy?" "Can Cowboy come with?" She pleads with puppy dog eyes.

"Sure. Where do you live?" "With Mommy." Okay, that's not helpful. Then again, what five year old knows where they live in this day and age?

"Okay. Let me talk to my Grandpa, then I'll take you home." I leave her with Cowboy and walk back to the counter.

"Do you mind if I take Eva home?" "Of course not." Comes his immediate reply. "Do you know where she lives?"

"Right above Wild Goose Healthcare down on Memory Lane." "Thanks Grandpa, I'll be quick." "Take your time."

I give him a nod and go back to Eva. "Ready to go?" "Yup!" She practically yells as she pets Cowboy.

I open the door and hold it open for the two to walk through. Memory Lane is halfway across town and I don't feel like walking all the way there. "We're taking the truck." I tell the two.

Eva eagerly walks up to the truck with Cowboy at her side. I open the door and Cowboy jumps in. I gently grab Eva and heft her up.

"Are you ready Miss Eva?" I ask once we're both buckled in. "Yeah!" She cheers as Cowboy sits next to her and starts to lick her face.