Mates

Wilder's Pov.

Fuck!

I didn't want her to know about mates yet. I wanted her to like me because she wanted to, not because she feels pressured by the bond.

"Mates is short for soulmates. We're soulmates." I scan her face, looking for any disgust or anger. There's none, just curiosity.

"So that means you're only ever gonna love me?" She asks. "Well, yeah," I stop talking as she grins at me like I have just told her the best news ever. "But if you don't want to be mates-"

"Why wouldn't I? Someone who's only ever gonna love me. That's a done deal!" My heart starts beating so fast, I think it's going to explode. She accepts me! My mate accepts me!!! This is the best day ever!!!

"What now does this whole mate thing involve?" She asks. Shit, what does being a mate involve?

"I guess it's similar to how humans get married except we bite each other instead of wearing rings." "Ooooo, sounds kinky." She winks at me.

"And unlike humans, soulmates love each other for life. Meaning I'll love you forever and never look at another the way I look at you." She puts her hand under her chin and narrows her eyes.

"Normally werewolves immediately move in together and have sex when they meet their mate. Since you're human I want to ease you into this relationship and give you time to adjust." She doesn't say a word and keeps giving me the thinking face.

"Aren't you going to say something?" She's too quiet, it's making me think I said something wrong.

"Does this mean we can deer hunting as a date? Or or, we could go fishing?" She looks at me with delight and hope.

"Sure." I smile at her pretty face. "Wilder, I'm coming in." A voice says from outside the door before it opens.

Alpha Conan leans against the doorframe and looks at us. "I was told I had to come get you for our council." He gives me an unhappy look.

"I don't want Storm going anywhere when she is in pain." I explain to him. "This discussion needs to happen today Wilder." He gives me a pointed look.

"I told you I can go! I'm not a baby!" Storm tells me. My brows furrow and I look at her with worry. I don't want her getting hurt.

"Can the meeting happen here?" I ask alpha. "No, it has to be in the council room."

"Hand me my leg, we're going right now." She says in an almost demanding tone. Alpha gives her an annoyed look at being commanded but he does as she asks.

I watch as he takes the leg from its leaning spot and digs his nails in, causing it to crack.

What are you doing?!

Helping you!

"Here you go Storm." Alpha smiles when he hands it to her. She lets go of my hand and winces in pain. She shakes her head and focuses on the leg.

"It's cracked, I'm not going to be able to walk on it. How am I supposed to walk now?" She looks at me in despair.

"Wilder can carry you to the council room." Alpha proposes with a big grin. She gives him a look before giving me a look.

"Now we'll see if you're strong Wilder. Cause if you ain't, that means you did need my help during the fight!" She teases. "Oh you're on!" I challenge.

In a swift motion I sweep the blanket back and cradle her in my arms. "Ouch, this shit just does not stop hurting." She painfully chuckles.

"I'll try to be gentle with you." I tell her as pleasant tingles shoot through my body.

I carry her with ease as I follow Alpha Conan to the council room. The whole time I can't help but look down at her to make sure she's okay.

You're welcome!

You did this on purpose?

I look up from Storm to Alpha who's walking just a few feet in front of us. His back remains to us and he walks with a pep in his step.

Of course I did! I want you two to be happily mated.

I can't believe this, Alpha is trying to play match maker!

I can't wait for you two to have pups! They're going to be so cute!

Alpha!

His step gets peppier and I turn red in the face.

Now is not the time to be talking about pups! You clearly didn't hear the part where I told her I want to take things slow.

Slow schmo. Once "slow" is over, you two will be all over each other and pups will be running wild around your home.

"Why do you keep getting that far away look in your eyes?" Storm asks, interrupting our mind link.

"I'm talking to Alpha Conan through my mind, it's called a mind link. That's what Karl meant when he mentioned it earlier" I explain.

"Can all werewolves do that?" "Yes."

"That would've been useful over in Afghanistan. Lotta men would've lived if we could just talk through the mind." She says with a sad look.

"Oh, I'm sure." Alpha Conan comments while holding the council room door open for us. He walks behind his desk and sits. He gestures for us to sit on the couch and that's what we do.

I thought that when we sat Storm would lean on me but she doesn't. She actually sits away from me, as if I'm diseased. This disappoints me a lot but I did say to take it slow so I guess I brought this onto myself.

I watch as she shifts her weight slightly and pain shoots across her face. "Can I hold your hand? For the pain not for any other reason." She quickly says the last part. I offer her my hand and she takes it. I immediately start to leech her pain.

"Now then, I called you both hear to discuss the dark fae's poison." Her hand tightens on mine when Alpha mentions the poison.

"A poison crafted by a dark fae never just disappears and goes away. If the poison does not kill you after you consume it, it will leave you with vivid hallucinations that will come and go. These hallucinations with never truly go away and can lie dormant for years."

"So it's just going to make my PTSD worse? I thought you were going to tell me something actually bad!" She throws her head back and laughs.

"I've been dealing with PTSD for years, it's just going to be like when they first started. Except this time I'm not going to have Cowboy to help me through it." Realization dawns on her face and she looks like she's been punched in the gut.

"I'm sorry Storm. If it makes you feel better, I can help you with your PTSD." I offer, I've been doing to for awhile now I hope that doesn't change. Well, I mean, I hope it changes and the PTSD goes away. But I guess now that will never happen. I'm so glad I didn't say any of that out loud.

"You're welcome to try Wilder. The only one that's ever helped with with it was Cowboy and this wolf that lives near my cabin."

You should tell her that wolf is you! It could help you better your relationship. Besides, miscommunication tropes suck!

I shoot him a dirty look as he sits there smugly in his chair. He gives me a wink and I stick my tongue out at him.

"Truth be told Storm, I'm actually that wolf." I rub my neck nervously and give her a sheepish grin.

"That means you killed that buck for me!" She grins a beautiful gap toothed grin. "Once we're out of here we have to discuss deer hunting strategies. But now, I can't believe you're the wolf that's been helping me. Thank you!" I hoped she'd hug me but she doesn't and instead moves slightly closer to me. This is something at least.

Slow Wilder, you said slow and slow is what you get. I think the werewolf in me is what wants to speed things up and I can't do that to Storm. She deserves only the best and the best is what I will give her.