and Then There Were Two

Sunset the Next Day
Storm's Pov.

Theodore is sitting on Wilder's lap as I throw more wood into the fire. His little eyes glow in the firelight, making him look like a mini arsonist.

"Be careful Eva! Don't run near the fire

"Be careful Eva! Don't run near the fire." I scold her when she nearly trips. "I'm sorry." She says before moving far away from the fire pit to play with Patches.

I sit back down in my chair and watch the fire engulf the logs I threw in. "Let's take a picture, Eva come here and bring Patches!" Wilder announces.

We move so it's Wilder and I sitting in the chairs and Eva standing between them holding Patches. Wilder extends his arm as far as it will go and takes the picture on Storm's phone. When he brings it up close he makes sure that he got Theodore in the picture, which he did.

Eva and Patches go back to playing and me and Wilder talk about what they did today. Our conversation turns to what to get Eva for her birthday and we decide to mind link.

I'm thinking we get her that doll she wanted.

I was thinking we should get her that stuffed animal she wouldn't stop talking about yesterday.

Why don't we get her both?

I like the way you think.

As we mind link the eerie feeling of being watched falls over me. Something's out here that shouldn't be.

"Eva, Patches come here, we're going inside." I instruct, rising out of my chair to get them to safety.

The fire illuminates three silhouettes and has Theodore crying in fear. In an instant Wilder is up and growling at them. I feel Eva move to hide behind my legs. I let out my own growl at these silhouettes.

Wilder hands Theodore to me and I set him down with his sister. Eva latches onto his hand to keep him standing and from running off.

The three silhouettes start to circle us which causes Wilder and I to growl louder. Wilder moves so his back is to mine, trapping the kids and puppy between us. At the end of the day, they have to be protected no matter what.

"Who are you and why are you here?" Wilder asks. The silhouettes don't answer and continue their circling. The smell of urine fills my nose, that must mean one of the kids is so scared they peed themselves.

"HE SAID who are you and why are you here!" I snarl at them. Their circling stops and one steps closer. "You are Wilder of the Bloody Fang Pack yes?" Silhouette One avoids the question.

"I am, but my pack is gone." He replies.

"That's why we're here. You're to be brought in before the High Council for your crimes."

"Crimes? What crimes?"

"You're the only survivor of the Bloody Fang Pack. That's suspicious." Silhouette two answers.