Thank You

Before we leave I have to eat something. I quietly enter the house and prepare my food.

It doesn't take long for me to make some toast and eat it. We are out of the house and in my truck with the utmost quietness.

Why was I quiet when I previously didn't care if I woke them up? Because, I knew better. And they're my family, so I should treat them with respect.

I smile in the mirror before starting the truck and driving far away from this terrible place.

Cowboy automatically has his head out the window. His tongue flapping in the wind.

The truck ride is silent the majority of the way to town, till my phone starts ringing. I ignore it though, being on the phone while driving is something I have no intention of doing this early in the morning.

The ringing stops, then it starts up again. But I continue to ignore it.

Eventually the phone stops ringing, just as we park in front of the bait shop. I don't bother to look who it was before I exit my truck with Cowboy close on my heels.

When I limp up to the bait shop, the front door has a picture on it that catches my eye. It's a picture of a little girl holding a fish almost as big as her.

It's funny to see a little girl fishing, not many girls do that these days. They're practically all obsessed with boys and shopping these days.

I push open the door open, and enter the ice cold shop, Cowboy on my heels.

As I look around in awe, the little old man behind the counter catches my eye. I stare at him for a moment, memories flooding back.

I look away from him and at the fishing hooks lining the walls. Cowboy's tail hits me leg over and over again as he looks at the old man.

"Excuse me miss, do you need help finding anything?" He asks. "No, I know this place better than you'd expect." "Oh." Was all he says before he picks up the newspaper and starts to read it.

I continue to look at the lures as Cowboy looks at the man with much excitement. Which is odd for my dog, he never does this except when he sees me.

I finally select two lures and I grab some wax worms. I had originally planned on looking for a job, but I honestly just feel like going fishing today.

I walk up to the counter with my lures and wax worms. The man sets his newspaper down, and gives me a smile.

I hand the lures and wax worms to the man and he rings them up. "7 dollars and 47 cents." He says with a raspy sigh.

I dig in my pocket and pull out a wad of dollar bills. I quickly count out eight dollars and hand them to him.

"Keep the change." "Thank you kindly miss."

I grab my fishing supplies and turn to leave. "You remind me of my granddaughter. She was always so polite and giving," he smiles as his mind drifts off to a happier time. His smile quickly fades as he gets deeper into thought. "but she's gone now. She ran away when she turned eighteen. Such a shame because I miss her dearly." He frowns as he looks at his withered old hands.

Cowboy looks up at me, as if knowing what I'd done. He glares at me with his doggy death stare, not giving up.

"I know where your granddaughter is." I whisper just loud enough for him to hear. He looks up from his hands, our eyes connecting. And I can feel the doggy death stare leave me instantly.

"Where is she?" He asks with an excited glint in his eyes. "Right here." I smile before opening my arms to hug him, he copies and we awkwardly half hug over the counter.