02 | changes

A M A Y A

"Grampa doesn't have a beard, Mommy..." Parker tells me as we tap our feet in impatience while we wait for the signal to turn green. "His beard...disappeared!"

He looks at me with wide, green eyes, his dark hair falling over his forehead as he clings to my side. I made him wear his favorite green jacket today. I had to scrounge my wardrobe for it as he wouldn't stop crying. Now, he has been telling me all about Shaun's missing beard which the latter must have shaved finally.

The fact that Grampa doesn't have a beard is very offensive to him because Parker has a fascination with them.

Out of all his qualities, I have absolutely zero ideas as to where he got that from.

"Really?" I ask, feigning a look of surprise.

Satisfied with my reaction, Parker nods at me. As the signal turns green, I pull him to cross the street with me as we head towards Mom's apartment on the opposite side.

We climb the stairs inside in a hurry, seeing that the elevator is in repair for now. My day has been going the worst since I woke up.

First, I overslept. Then, I didn't get the time to read the morning news because Parker took half an hour to finish his cereal, and then I found out that my car needed repair which meant I have to take a cab to the office now since there is no one else who can give me a free lift.

Thankfully, Mom agreed to babysit her grandchild for another day.

We reach the third floor in a hurry, panting for breath after climbing all the never-ending staircases. Rushing toward number 305, I press the doorbell and we wait outside for it to open.

The door opens just as quickly and I find Mom standing in front of us as she smiles at Parker. Over the years, Mom hasn't changed the least bit and I wish to be this wrinkle-free when I am her age. She is wearing a pair of black trousers and a loose blouse, letting her hair fall softly over her shoulders.

"How's my favorite human doing today?" she asks Parker but the child is already too busy as he lets go of my hand and runs inside the apartment.

"Grampa! Grampa!" he shouts, holding his toy guitar in one hand.

Hearing his shout, Shaun hurries out from the kitchen. His hands are covered in flour but that doesn't seem to bother my Mom's partner as he grins as he sees Parker. He looks funny dressed in a pair of pink shorts and a black T-shirt but Parker seems to find him fascinating still.

"Hey, little man!"

"Pick me up! Pick me up!" Parker says, raising his hands for Shaun. "Let's play Pilot Man!"

"Play what?" I turn to Mom, looking at the kid and watching in horror as Shaun picks him up with his flour-covered hands.

"Here we go, little passenger. Let's fly to Nana's room!" Shaun shouts, carrying Parker in both hands upturned while Parker spreads his hands and legs in the air.

"Don't worry. They play this all the time." Mom waves a hand when she sees me looking at them as both the guys disappear down the corridor.

"What exactly are they playing, Mom?"

"It's called Pilot Man. Shaun is the pilot and Parker is the plane. Their only destination is the bedroom so you don't have to worry about any landing failures."

Shaking my head, I sigh, looking at my watch to find the time already half-past nine.

"Thank you so much for babysitting again, Mom. I owe you one," I say, pulling Mom for a hug.