epilogue

A M A Y A

one month later:

An exciting jolt rattles my insides when the mansion escapes the clutches of the fog, revealing its mighty presence amongst surrounding hills. A picturesque location emerges from within with a garden that stretches for miles behind. Our car swerves down to the huge gates embroidered with a golden B on top.

I look out the car window, gaping at the scene before me. The gates open on their own as Carter's car approaches them, the vehicle being driven by Dawson while Carter sits on the passenger seat with Parker in his lap. I am the only one in the backseat.

As we enter the driveway, my sight immediately lands on the majestic fountain in between the front lawn, if you can even call that large area that spreads before the mansion. Our car turns to stop in front of the white-marbled mansion.

Dawson kills the engine and five people, wearing matching black and white uniforms rush out of the giant oak double doors which are thrown open. They gather around the car, opening its doors for us.

One of them helps Parker down while Carter and Dawson follow after. It takes me some time to adjust to such royal treatment so I end up dragging myself out of my seat clumsily. I am in no way accustomed to a rich lifestyle. It has only been one month since my marriage to Carter. I am still getting used to it.

"Welcome home, snippy."

Carter gathers me in his arms when he finds me staring with wide eyes at the mansion.

"This? This is your ancestral home?" I ask with a voice that sounds hollow as my eyes take in the gabled roof, the ornate carvings on its marble structure, and the many windows the mansion has. "This is where your Grandpa lives?"

"He used to live here but now only visits at times," Carter informs me. "Ever since Grandma died, he couldn't bear living here alone. It's one of the oldest homes of Cali."

"Oh..."

A sympathetic gloom settles over me as Carter takes my hand in his and we climb up the semi-circular staircase to the opened doors of the palace. I find myself standing under a chandelier of a sky-high ceiling in the foyer, taking in the view of the luxurious hall ahead of me, which is decorated with antique furniture, windows that stretch to ceilings, and paintings covering every empty space. Carter's Grandpa seems to have had this place renovated but never changed anything integral about the old building. A giant staircase is right ahead of me with red carpeting covering it from top to bottom.

I look up at each step, raising my gaze as Carter walks me further into the hall. My eyes stop at the figure of a man who stands tall at the very top of the staircase.

He is a sharp-looking aged man who looks just like Carter. Dressed in a white fitted shirt and black dress pants, his figure is slim, with tough muscles forming the contour of his shape. He doesn't appear to be seventy-one as he is supposed to be. I have seen him enough times on T.V and yet, seeing him in real-life does nothing to calm down the knot in my stomach.

He starts to climb down the staircase, the weight of his gaze making me gulp because he is completely focused on me. He halts in front of us, giving me a dark stare as he observes me from top to bottom.

I have done my best to appear like a billionaire's wife today. From my hair and make-up to my silk crystal patterned dress that reaches to my knees - everything has been made and chosen by professionals. Yet, Vance's look of disapproval makes me clutch my husband's arm.

"Grandpa," Carter says, bringing Vance Bell's attention to him from me.

Vance's eyes scan Carter like he is trying to figure out what disease his Grandson is suffering from. His jaw is fixed as his stoic look sweeps through my husband.