09 | promotions

A M A Y A

Bryce and Siana have something going on between them. I form the hypothesis when I see them talking in hushed voices behind my cubicle. Somehow everything strange and weird in this office happens when I am about to enter my cubicle.

Bryce has his arms around her waist while she stares him in the eyes with a smile on her lips.

They are so glued together that they don't see me until I am standing behind Bryce. Siana is the first to notice me and her eyes widen when she sees me crossing my arms over my chest, giving both of them a disapproving look.

"You guys want to bump uglies, please do it when you're not in my space," I say sternly, making Bryce jump back.

"Oh my God!" he exclaims, running a hand through his tuft of black hair. "You scared me."

I roll my eyes as I enter the cubicle and put my handbag on the desk. Siana backs off my seat, letting me start my computer while I sit down on the revolving chair. Out of all its vices, our office does provide a comfortable space to work in. The revolving chairs are my favorite.

As I settle myself, I eye the two people who still haven't departed from my workspace. Siana is standing with her bottom lip pulled inside her mouth while Bryce leans against my desk, with his hands in the pockets of his grey slacks.

"Do you guys have something to say? If not, please leave. I have too much work."

"We do," Siana blurts, elbowing Bryce on his belly.

She is so small in front of him yet Bruce winces as if she hurt him. The way he looks at her, with his eyes glinting with a kind of emotion I am no longer familiar with. It's like longing and passion. I wonder how I never noticed that before. He always looks at her that way.

"What?" I ask Siana, brushing my thoughts of Bryce's passionate stare away.

She takes one small step toward me, her fingers intertwining with each other in a fit of nervousness. She has chosen to wear a light blue blouse and jeans today, letting her hair down in soft waves. Her makeup is light and it makes her look pretty as she fumbles for words.

I retouched my makeup on the way too but when I see my reflection on the computer screen, I still find a tired woman staring back.

"Amaya..." she begins. "We just wanted to say that...we...are sort of...you know..."

She hesitates, giving me a look that spells that if I know then I shouldn't force her to tell me. The problem is, even if I know exactly what she is talking about, my profession doesn't allow me to go the easy way when it comes to workplace relationships.

I am the stupid HR for Goodness sake. I made half of the rules against personal relationships in this office, I have recruited employees who I thought were capable and made some get fired too for slightly inappropriate behavior. As much as I hate my job sometimes, I have to keep it professional, even when it comes to friends.

"I'm afraid you'll have to explain it to me properly. Are you guys actually dating?"

"It's not even that." It's Bryce who speaks next. He looks white enough to make me know how scared he is of my reaction. He must like Siana a lot but I know something that he likes even more - his job. "We're sort of figuring things out. We had a few one-night stands but now it's getting out of hand."

Siana's cheeks turn pink at Bryce's words while I raise my eyebrows, startled by the new information.

"How long has this been going on?"