13 | of dreams & nightmares

A M A Y A

Carter Bell's office penthouse opens right in the hall. A modern style flooring with the walls painted pale greets me as the elevator doors open. Carter walks in first while I follow him quietly, my eyes taking in every nook and corner of the room we are in.

This place doesn't have much furniture - just a black couch with a tea table positioned right opposite a Wall TV occupying the hall. A short spiral row of stairs leads upward right from the middle of the room. Carter stalks towards those stairs after having thrown his suit ideally over the couch.

He hasn't spoken to me another word since we got in the elevator. Dawson chose to stay behind and join in later after having sorted the people downstairs to their rooms. My heartbeats were frozen in the silence of the elevator and they are still frozen now as I climb the stairs after Carter, my hand curled over the cool steel railing.

The stairs lead to a beautiful wooden door at the end. Carter turns the knob on it and enters the room, leaving me to follow behind at my leisure. I peek into the room as he switches on the lights; the darkness disappears to leave behind a large square-shaped space with a bed in the center of it.

This must be Carter's bedroom. Although it doesn't look anything like him. The walls are painted a neutral beige, the tiles forming the floor of the same color. There is a bed and a wardrobe while on one side of the room, there are huge floor-to-ceiling windows made of tinted glass, through which the stormy weather outside is visible.

"Come in, Miss. Sommers." His deep baritone echoing inside the room brings me back to the present. "You don't have to wait for an invitation. You aren't getting any."

With a frown cast over my face, I step inside the room, seeing the warm lights falling over his broad figure as he skillfully begins undoing the top buttons of his shirt.

He stares at me - deep green eyes fixed upon every movement of my body. I remain rooted to my spot on the floor, swallowing a gulp as he unbuttons himself completely, his shirt parting to give a glimpse of the toned torso beneath; a body I had once been used to peppering with my kisses every night,

I look away quickly as he keeps himself like that, not bothering to discard the shirt off his shoulders or attempting to go and change somewhere else.

"What are you doing?" I ask when the irritation growing in my nerves becomes uncomfortable.

I can't deal with this silence between us. It's worse than him being obvious and shamelessly flirting with me. This silence is like a trip to the past; the trajectory of which I do not wish to cross.

"What am I doing?" He crosses his arms over his bare chest, crossing his ankles at the same time as he leans against his wardrobe. "You tell me what I am doing."

"You're being a jerk," I say, sensing the slight edge in my voice as I look back at him. "You're behaving like a kid who has been denied his favorite candy. Grow up, Carter. This.." I point towards his bare chest with my hand and then wave it to gesture to all of him. "This...isn't going to work on me."

He looks down at his body, dark eyebrows narrowing to portray confusion which I know he doesn't have. He knows perfectly well what I am talking of. He lifts his gaze back to me, the tiniest of smiles playing on his lips.

"Miss. Sommers, are you trying to say that I invited you here to seduce you?" The tiny smile turns lopsided, the glamour in his eyes frighteningly wild as it makes my stomach drop. "I assure you, I thought we're past that by your words in the elevator."