15 | love of his life

C A R T E R

I take my sweet time getting ready for work, a little 'cause I am still sleepy and a little to piss Molly off.

I start with the longest shower where thoughts of a particular brunette occupy me, I eat my breakfast in the downstairs restaurant with Dawson judging me from across, I do some useless checks-ins with the managers of each facility which takes about an hour. By the time it is 10 am, I am finally ready to go.

Molly must have had enough time to rethink her decision to surprise me at random moments.

I am wrong about that because as soon as I step into the office, my eyes land on my crowd of employees gathered around a familiar woman.

The loathsome woman is perched on top of a desk with one polished leg over another, her index finger twirling a strand of her hair. Adorned in a dress of glossy pink and tall heels, she is giggling with my employees like she has known them forever.

I halt at the door and Dawson bumps right into me.

"Jesus, Carter!" he growls out before looking at the same scene I am staring at.

"So, as you guys can see by now...Carter hasn't proposed yet but it's pretty much down between us," Molly says to the employees, her voice sugary sweet which makes me sick. "I'm going to be your lovely boss's wife soon so you might as well be polite to me."

Horrified by the attention the entire office has on her with the shit spilling from her mouth, I take steps towards the crowd, scanning all the employees until I land sight of her.

Amaya is standing right in front of the evil creature, her eyes blinking every two seconds. She has changed into a white blouse and a pencil skirt that sticks to all her right curves. Her hair is left open, a headband holding the strands out of her face as she stares at Molly in awe.

"Fuck..." I mutter under my breath, dread washing over me.

If Molly has been blabbing about her and my relationship all this time, then it doesn't take a genius to know what Amaya must be thinking of me. I am already in jeopardy and this nonsensical woman just complicated things for me further.

Crap! Who the fuck gave me the idea of stalling?

"What's happening here?"

My voice booms through the room, the clarity and promptness of the question making all the employees flinch and turn to look at me. Amaya does too, without the flinching for apparent reasons considering she spent the night in my arms.

"Carter!" Molly exclaims when she spots me.

She slides off the desk and tiptoes towards me. My hands stay in my pocket, eyes locked on Amaya's as Molly throws her arms around me. She presses a wet, strawberry-scented kiss on my cheek before pulling back.

"Baby...I was just telling our employees what a nice boyfriend you are," she coos, a freshly manicured finger trailing down my chest.

I see Amaya's one eyebrow rise at the declaration but she is otherwise unaffected. Feeling a little like a moron for expecting something more from the girl I ditched at the altar, I face Molly with an unimpressed look.

"Our employees?" I repeat. "How are they your employees, Molly?"

"Didn't you get Mr. Bell's memo, Carter?" she says, looking surprised. "Why...I am now the co-manager of this branch. I'll be working alongside you, babe."

It is my time to blink now. I got no memo, no calls, and I assume that the stupid hailstorm was sent by the devil so that the information escaped me very conveniently. In short, I have no idea what the fuck she is talking of.