06 | father & son

A M A Y A

I swipe a strand of my hair stuck to my forehead as I continue molding the flour with my hand in the bowl. The air feels hot even with the conditioner on due to the exertion I am putting on the task.

"You said the base would be ready in fifteen minutes. It's been twenty-six," I say to Lucy over the phone.

"Keep doing it, Sommers. You fucked the devil. A little bit of exertion wouldn't make you change your personality," I hear her voice over my Bluetooth, amidst the buzz of people behind her.

She is currently working in a software company in Romania. It has been so long since I saw her in person but at least we can talk every day whenever I require bad suggestions. For example, she is the one who told me to accept Jeremy's proposal, saying I needed to fuck the Carter Bell orgasm out of my body.

It didn't work. However, I still trust her with the recipe for the cookies she sent.

"I swear, Lucy...If this turns out bad, I'm gonna kill you."

My entire body is covered with flour, patches sticking to my forehead and the blue checkered shirt I am wearing, a shirt which is very, unfortunately, Carter Bell's. After he left me like that, the least I could do was claim his entire wardrobe as mine. Wearing men's clothes has become my only sense of fashion in five years.

"It'll be good. Don't worry. Just keep molding with all you got," Lucy cheers. "How's my little Parker doing?"

"Playing in his room...Hey...why am I still finding lumps after all the mixing?"

"Uh..oh...something's wrong then."

Just then, I hear the sound of the doorbell and look up from my task towards the hall.

"I gotta go. There's someone at the door."

"Make sure to send me the result of the batter," Lucy shouts in my ear.

"Yeah, fine."

I cringe at her loud voice, taking the Bluetooth out of my ear. Washing my hands in the sink, I walk out of the kitchen and into the hall.

My apartment is a small, two-bedroom house with one room dedicated entirely to Parker and his toys. There is a hall, an attached bathroom in my bedroom, and a balcony in which Parker and I have dinner while looking at the city.

As I traverse the hall and reach the door, I look at the security phone screen to see who is coming to visit us this early in the morning. I feel my mind immediately go to fight or flight mode when I spot Carter Bell standing in front of my apartment with his hands in the pockets of his dress pants.

He is looking here and there while waiting on his heels for me to open the door. Dressed in a white shirt and black dress pants, he looks just as handsome as he always does.

I turn around, unable to believe what I am seeing.

It's a Saturday. I wasn't supposed to see him till Monday.

How is he here this soon? Is he that desperate to take my Parker from me?

He rings the doorbell again, impatiently this time and I have no choice but to turn back. I sigh, unlocking the door with shaking hands. I open it just a few inches, looking at Carter as he meets my eyes.

His eyebrows narrow when he takes my outfit in.

"Is that my shirt?" he asks.

I gulp, face flushing at his question.