29 | tell me the truth

C A R T E R

I don't feel the pain as the knife cuts through my palm. All my emotions are focused on the pathetic excuse for a woman who holds the other end of it.

Molly is shaking as she stares at me with widened eyes. Her face is pale, uneasiness masking every part of it. When I grip the blade of the knife tighter, she glances down, following the trail of blood from my hand to the floor.

Anger is boiling inside me. The adrenaline is so high that I feel completely in its control. I know that if I let go of the knife, I will end up killing her right at this moment.

She tried to hurt Amaya. She tried to kill the love of my life.

If the world didn't have a stupid institution for law, this would have been Molly Delacruz's last night.

"Carter..." Molly gasps, letting go of the handle of the knife.

She drags herself on her butt backward, to get away as far from me as possible. I keep holding the blade of the knife as my pulse pounds wildly. I hear the erratic beats of my heart in my ears.

"Carter...I swear, it wasn't my fault..." Molly says, rising from her position on the floor. "It was her. She attacked me first!"

"What the fuck..." Amaya's soft exclamation makes me turn to her.

She is looking at Molly too as her blood-coated hands stay near her chest. She has grown ashen and the scared look on her face makes me want to kill myself for being late.

If the vase hadn't crashed to the floor, I wouldn't have woken up in time. I don't even want to imagine what would have happened then.

I drop the knife to the floor and grab Amaya by her arms, helping her up.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

She meets my eyes with tear stains drying on her cheeks as she nods.

The private elevator pings. The three of us look in its direction as the doors part and a worried-looking Dawson steps in, followed by three security guards from the hotel.

"What in God's name happened here-" He stops abruptly, a few steps away from us when he sees the blood on the floor and the other destruction that Molly has caused.

Horror fills his eyes and the guards look just as shocked by the rampage. Dawson lifts his gaze from the floor and finds Molly standing beside him. Her back is to the couch and there is a wide cut on her thigh.

"How did you get in?" He takes a step back in bewilderment. "I had been on guard all night."

The rise and fall of Molly's chest are fast as she looks between me and Dawson. The bitch has the audacity to pretend to be innocent after what just happened.

"She never left," Amaya answers instead of her.

All the sights in the room turn to her. She is currently hooked to my side in my protective grip. The woman is still shivering in the aftermath of being chased by a mad person.

I rub her arm gently, trying to soothe her nerves. I force her to walk with me as we move near Dawson. Once we are close, I gesture for him to hold Amaya instead. He complies quietly, removing his suit and placing it over her shoulders.

She moves behind him, peeking from above his shoulder to look at Molly.

"Two years ago, you touched me without my permission..." I turn to Molly, taking steps toward the culprit in question. I tower over her petite frame with my height and as she looks up, I can clearly see the apprehension she is trying to hide. "I let you go without consequence because you made me believe it was my fault for not stopping you. You gaslighted me into feeling guilty."