12 | hailstorm

double update alert!
did you read chapter 11 first?

•••

A M A Y A

The elevator seems to take hours to go down which is strange considering we need to descend only two floors. I fight back my tears, my knuckles white as I clutch my handbag in front of my body, ashamed of the words I said to Carter.

I hurt him. The expression on his face is solemn and dark. He doesn't look at me once. His hands are tucked in the pockets of his jeans and I can make out that they are curled into fists. He is upset with me and for the right reasons.

Isn't that what I wanted when I agreed to marry Jeremy? I wanted Carter to think that I have given up because I have. Then why do I feel so bad for saying all that stuff to him? The ring on my finger wasn't given by Jeremy after a proposal. I asked him to buy me one and I wore it myself so that we can both get on with the act. That was the reason I was late for the meeting.

It is not like I chose Jeremy over Carter. I didn't choose anyone. I just want to help a friend in need while letting Carter know that I want nothing to do with him. I am doing it for my son. After the five years I spent raising him alone, I am so scared that Carter will end up breaking my bond with him.

I am an insecure mother. One can say that. I don't mind because it is true. My son is my world. I can't imagine anyone taking him from me.

The elevator stops with a ping and the doors part.

The chaos that is ensuing outside takes us both by surprise. Carter and I take a glance at each other before stepping out. The corridor is filled with employees on their phones, all of their faces looking worried. I spot Siana and Bryce on their phones too. People are loitering around the floor instead of being at work.

I feel a sudden rush of cold fear getting me as I take in the worried faces.

"What's happening?" I mutter in the air.

From between the crowd, I spot Dawson walking toward Carter and me at a brisk pace. He pushes through the other people as if annoyed by them blocking his path. His face is red and covered in what seems to be cold sweat due to stress.

"Where in God's name were you, Carter? I have been searching like a mad man! Who takes so much time in the elevator?"

He looks flustered as he glances between us with his hands on his hips.

"What happened here? I was only gone for ten minutes," Carter defends himself.

"There has been a hailstorm. It's still ongoing. The roads are blocked and the employees are worried as they can't go home," Dawson informs.

I put a hand over my mouth, my mind floating to Parker quickly.

"Hailstorm? Oh my God! I have to check on Parker," I say as I grab my phone from my bag and quickly speed dial Mom's number.

"Where did you leave him?" Carter asks in a grave tone, his eyes literally judging me in his worry.

"I left him with my Mom and Shaun. His babysitter's on leave." Mom's phone rings and she picks it up just as soon. "Hello, Mom?"

"Am..ya...you..kay?"

I hear Mom's voice but it cracks on the way, maybe due to the weather.

"Mom, where are you? Are you okay? Is Parker safe?" I ask her, covering my other ear with a finger to hear her properly.