JAN | Raf780

I am alive, I am a breathing carcass and listlessly I wait
Fumbling for control, I've become a marionette of fate

Encaged by an ironic prison whose door always stands agape
Mocking and jeering for I lack the strength to escape

- from Traveller by Raf780

for "New Year's Fiesta 2022" contest

~

1.
What are 3 words that describe your writing?

Simple, Unfiltered, Honest

2.
What does poetry mean to you?

To me, poetry means comfort. It means peace. I feel a keen sense of contentment whenever I finish writing a poem, especially when I feel it packs an impact. I always say all writing has meaning. But poetry lends that meaning an extra layer of impact. Write the same thing as both prose and poetry and I can almost guarantee the impact of the poem will last longer.

3.
What would you say makes for a good poem?

Personally, I think a rhythmic poem makes for a very pleasant reading experience. Couple that with a good rhyming scheme and a strong message and it's a winner in my book.

4.
Tell us a little bit about your poem for the New Year's Fiesta contest.

"Traveller" is about the journey of a patient battling cancer. The idea behind the poem was that of someone confined to a hospital room who'd put his reflections on paper every night (hence the little break at the end which indicates the passing of a couple of days) as he's slowly eaten up by this pernicious disease.

It was inspired in part by Carla Reed's story in The Emperor Of All Maladies. Also, I thought it'd be an unconventional way to tackle the contest prompt.

5.
What are some of your favourite poems?

I love One Art by Elizabeth Bishop and The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.

6.
If you could meet one poet, who would you pick?

Allama Muhammad Iqbal.

~

Thank you for chatting with us, Raf!

If you want to read Raf's works, visit them at Raf780.

Until next time!