Versification 2023: Rea_Blooms

Tranquil: One More Night

The city burns; The people have fled;
Slowly she wanders, between the dead;
One more success, one more tranquil night
She's seen thus before; the scene feels just right.

One more piece of magic to add to her belt,
And in the blood she spilt, no pain she felt,
The fight isn't over; the war isn't won,
But for her it's alright; the fight is the fun.

Hello Aesthetes!

Here we have with us Rea_Blooms one of our day winners of the following day:
🔺️Day 2: Tranquil
🔺️Day 9: Construct
of versification 2023.

🎈1. What was your favourite prompt in Versification?

I found almost all of the prompts for Versification this year to be unique, innovative, and creativity-inspiring, but my favorite prompt, most definitely, would have to be the Challenge Prompt for Day 30: Memory. As soon as I read the prompts, I knew that the Challenge Prompt was the one I'd be writing about. I knew exactly what I wanted to say, instantly. The question was about whether or not I would choose to rewrite my memories, if I was given the chance, and immediately, I knew my answer would be "no." I was eager to express that sentiment in poetry. I firmly believe that our memories, the good and the bad, are an irreplaceable and irremovable part of who we are. They're formative; they've made us, and to rewrite them would be to rewrite ourselves. The poem I wrote for this prompt didn't win any recognition in the contest, no awards, but what I wrote in it, those eight lines, stuck with me, impacted me, because of the nature of the prompt that drew them out. It was an inspiring moment for me, one I deeply appreciate as a poet.

🎈2. Share with us your favourite poem/entry you wrote for versification.

This is a hard question because I fall in love with every poem I write, to be honest. Still, if I had to choose, I would pick the poem I wrote for Day 3: Mellow. Here it is:

When winter falls,
The trees succumb
To the mellow, white burden
Of the frost that becomes
Like a glistening blanket
Over nature's own silence,
But that silence speaks
In a voice that entices
Me in my madness
To come. To rest. To be.

This poem is not one of mine that won an award, but nevertheless, it holds a special place in my heart and my broader poetry-notebook collection. First of all, I love the rhyme scheme. It's the first poem I wrote with a rhyme scheme of this nature, actually, and it inspired me to write an entire anthology of poems with a similar rhyming pattern. (The anthology's on my profile; it's called "Ambition"). But, also, the story behind the poem makes it particularly special to me. The inspiration for the scene of nature I described came from a nature preserve near where I live, a beautiful nature preserve. In the winter, when the frost and the snow freezes to the spindly branches of the trees... there's nothing like it. It's absolutely breathtaking and comforting too, my safe haven, and often, my fountain of inspiration as well.

🎈3. What are three words that you'd describe your writing?

I'm a writer of many words, but to describe my writing in three simple ones, I would say: deep, personal, and imaginative. I don't shy away from complex subjects in my poetry; I look for the pain, the confusion, the unanswered questions, and I delve into them with all the adjectives and imagery and metaphors I can muster. Every sentence, every phrase I write has five lines to find in between it and the next. There's always a double meaning, a triple meaning, a hidden meaning or connection, and they're not hard to create. They're how my poetry forms. Also, my poetry forms almost entirely from my own personal experiences and emotions. People who read my poetry know more about me and my heart and mind than probably my closest family and friends. I like to say my poems know more about me than I do. They're all the feelings I don't understand enough to speak out loud and wouldn't dare to speak, even if I did understand. Lastly, if you read a large portion of my poetry collections, you'll probably notice that I focus a lot on dreams. They're a common theme for me, because I'm a dreamer. I have a massive imagination. I'm ambitious, and my poems are too, in their own way.