Chapter 6 - Pain and regret

Luckily, Arthur wasn't beat up too bad, so he was able to help his sister walk home. Cass, on the other hand, was having serious trouble holding her own weight. She could barely see out of her left eye and was sure her knee was fractured. That didn't stop her rush to get home though, as much as Arthur told her to take it easy.

"What the fuck happened to you?" Polly says in shock as she opens the door for them. "Get Tommy." Cass says, ignoring her aunt's concern and sitting at the kitchen table. Polly looks towards Arthur who just shrugs as he passes a clean cloth to her.

It's not long before Tommy is barging through the door, startling his sister out of her sleepy, pain-filled haze. "Shit." He gasps when he notices his siblings' injuries before demanding Arthur tell him everything. Cass drowns the conversation out with thoughts of her soldier, closing her eyes and sighing heavily. Alfred. She focuses her mind on the deep blue colour of his eyes. His smirk, his laugh, his broad shoulders, his embrace. Anything that can help her pain cease.

Sadly, her thoughts are cut away with the sharp sting she feels as Polly uses alcohol to clean the cuts on her face. She lets out a sharp hiss as she opens her eyes, flinching and backing away as much as she can from the contact. "Sorry, love, but I need to clean these. Won't take long. Relax, alright?" Polly says in a surprisingly soothing tone, one that she hasn't used since Cass was a child. "Sorry, Poll." Cass mumbles out as another wave of pain hits her cheek, scrunching her eyes as it does.

"Cass, I'm so sorry." Tommy whispers as he crouches to meet her eyeline. "It's alright, Tom." She sighs out in reply, reaching for her brother's hand. He gladly take it and gives it a reassuring squeeze. "So, what are we gonna do about this bloody copper?" John says, making himself known from the corner of the room. "I send we'd have a family meeting, take a vote." Arthur grumbles in reply, making Cass roll her eyes. She knew exactly what they had spoken about. Why the fuck would the peaky blinders help that bastard?

Tommy abruptly stands, dropping his sister's hand and turning to face his brothers. "Well, why not? Hmm? We have no truck with Fenians or communists." Arthur says, matching Tommy's glare towards him. This causes Polly to stand, much to Cass's relief, and stare Tommy down. "What's wrong with you? What the fuck is wrong with him lately?" Arthur then says as Tommy walks out of the room without looking at anyone. "If I knew I'd buy the cure from Compton's Chemist." Polly snaps in reply, making sure she was loud enough for Tommy to hear.

Cass can't help but flinch as the door slams, creating vibrations throughout the house. "Come on, love. We'll clean the rest in the bath." Polly says gently as she turns to her oldest niece. Cass nods and goes to stand before letting out a strained yelp and falling back down. She clutches her knee, ignoring the manic shaking of her leg. "Let me see." Polly says sternly, prying Cass's hands away. After a full, and painful, examination, Polly says that she has a dislocated knee and that she needs to set it.

"John, Ada, take her hands and help her stand." Pol then says, readying herself for what's to come. Cass groans as she accidentally put weight on her leg, thanking her siblings for the help. "One... Two... Three!" Polly yells with a grunt as she pushes the kneecap back into place. Cass lets out a scream, cursing at the pain as she digs her fingernails into John's palm. "Right, you go and get in the bath love, I'll make a brace to help you walk." Pol then says, flicking her head to the side as if to tell Ada to help her sister.

Meanwhile, Tommy took himself down to the cut to clear his head. He knew Cassie would get in trouble, but he didn't think it would be like this. He constantly has to remind himself that whether she knew or not, she would have got hurt. It doesn't make him feel any better. If he hadn't have kept the guns, then none of this would be happening. "It's alright, Tom." Her words play on a loop in his head. He knows it's not alright. It's far from alright, but he can't help but feel grateful that she's so forgiving. He shakes off his guilt and lights another cigarette before walking away, acting like the strong man that he has become.