Chapter 18 - Win win, bang bang

"Why are we stopping?" John asks in an annoyed tone as the truck comes to a halt. "She's heating up. Curly, can you take a look at her?" Tommy says as he opens the doors. Cass squints at the amount of light that is suddenly covering them. "Let me out for a piss." Charlie then says, standing from his seat and climbing out.

Cass then watches as Michael reaches into his bag and pulls out some sandwiches wrapped in a cloth. "She made loads, do you want one?" He asks the group who are all looking at him with furrowed eyebrows. "What the bloody hell is that?" Arthur asks, nodding his head towards them. "They're sandwiches, Arthur. I know your meals are usually made of whiskey, but to normal people, this is what food looks like." Cass retorts with a cheeky grin. "Shut it, you." Arthur says, matching her grin.

"There's ham or shrimp paste. And she made tea." Michael says, pulling the flask out of his bag. "Sandwiches?" Arthur asks with a smirk. "Yeah, why?" Michael asks. "Polly made bloody sandwiches?" Arthur then reiterates, making his siblings laugh. "She didn't even do that when she sent us off to school." Cass says through her laughter. "Didn't realise we were having a teddy bear's fucking picnic." Charlie retorts as he returns to the van. "Alright, alright, we'll drink the tea and eat the sandwiches and then head off. But, if I see one fucking crumb I'll shoot you all." Tommy says, trying to hide his smile as he walks back round to the front of the van.

~

"Right, this is a respectable fucking place, yeah? Best behaviours. No weapons, and no drinking. Stay together." Tommy says to the group as they enter the building where the auction is being held. "Yes, dad." Cass retorts quietly, making John and Arthur laugh. "When the horse comes up, I'll do the bidding. I've already shown my interest, so they should be expecting us." Tommy continues, ignoring his siblings. "Do I get to run a hand over her, Tommy?" Curly asks excitedly. "Afraid not, Curly. But it will be alright." Cass replies, knowing how Tommy can get in these situations.

"I've got a feeling, Cassie. Something isn't right." Curly then whispers to Cass, prompting her to hold his hand gently. "You're just in a new place, Curls. We all are. Just stay with me, yeah?" Cass whispers in reply, relaxing slightly when her old friend nods.

It's not long before the bidding can start, and Cass starts to get on edge when a rivalry begins between Tommy and a woman on the lower level. The price keeps on rising, and so does Cass's heart rate. She's starting to think that Curly was onto something with his bad feeling. "2000 guineas, sold! To a Mr..." The auctioneer yells. "Thomas Shelby." Tommy announces, making some of the crowd gasp. Looking at the satisfaction on Tommy's face, Cass knows that this was what he wanted.

~

"You almost had me out there." A woman says to Tommy as the group turn to leave after everyone has used the bathrooms. Cass pulls her other brothers away from her since she clearly only has eyes for Tommy. They all stand at the end of the corridor, watching as the two make conversation. John takes note of Cass's tapping foot and decides to lighten the mood. "Watch this." He whispers to her with a smirk as he nods to their oldest brother.

"Tommy! Come on, hurry up. We've got to get back." Arthur yells to him. "Yeah, we've gotta get the kid back or Polly will have your balls." John then says, trying his best to hold in his laughter. "She will have 'em." Arthur adds. Tommy and the woman continue their conversation, obviously trying to ignore them. This only makes Cass want to join in.

"Tommy, we've got to get back to the caravans. The chickens will be starving." She yells with a grin, making John and Arthur laugh a little harder. "And the pigs." John adds, prompting the three to practically burst into a fit of giggles. Tommy is soon walking over to them with a look of disapproval, but a smirk none the less.

~

"It's the fucking truth, John boy. Rich women these days only want working class cock, like ours." Arthur says cockily as the group walk through to where the bet was placed. "This is a wonderful conversation." Cass says sarcastically with a sigh. "Sorry Cass." John says with a smirk. "Maybe she was the something bad I was worried about." Curly says, pushing through the group to aim his comment towards Tommy. "Maybe she was." Tommy says to him as they enter the space.

"Thomas Shelby?" A man yells, who none of them had noticed was sitting at the auctioneer's table. "Get down!" Cass yells as he stands and pulls a gun out of his jacket. She immediately pushes Tommy out of the way and ends up getting shot in her upper arm. The rest is a blur for her as her ears start to ring. She knows that Arthur and John ended up taking the man and his accomplice down, but that's all she knew.

"Are you alright?" Michael asks as he bends down to her aid, only to be pushed out of the way by Tommy. "Cass, what the fuck did you do that for?" He asks his sister who groans in pain. "You're fucking welcome." Cass retorts lazily as she tries to sit up, having not realised that she fell to the ground. "Come on, stand up." Tommy then says, grabbing hold of her waist to steady her since her spare hand was held against her wound.

"Michael, give me the keys." Tommy says sternly to his cousin. "No! Tommy you have to stay with me." Cass cries as she stumbles over to him. "I'm alright to drive." Michael says plainly, sending a sympathetic look towards Cass. "Fine. Come on, Cass. I'll sort you out in the truck." Tommy says, accepting defeat as his sister practically falls into his arms.