Chapter 26 - What a mess

"Where are you going?" Cass asks Tommy as he tries to sneak through the house. "Nowhere." Tommy replies bluntly after almost jumping in shock. "Why are you down here?" he asks his sister, a confused yet sceptical look on his face. "I couldn't sleep." Cass replies. "Well, I have business. I'll see you in the morning." Tommy then says before quickly leaving the house. Cass just sits there in silence for a while before heading up to bed. She has no idea what Tommy is hiding, and at this point she doesn't care.

~

"There's too many of them!" One of the soldiers yell as they retreat to the trench that Cassie was in. "Are you injured?" She asks in a panic, trying her best to drown out the screams of the people around her. "No, there's just too many." The man says, trying to catch his breath. "Don't you dare be a coward! Get back up there and you fight for our king like everyone else! Now!" Cass yells, practically pushing him back over the top.

BANG

The soldier's body suddenly gets lighter but goes limp. She looks up to see that the top half of him has been blown to smithereens. "Oh my god!" She screams, dropping the man's torso and legs to the ground. Her hands are shaking, and her vision is blurry. All she can hear is the gunshots that are getting closer.

"Retreat!" She hears the Major yell to the remaining soldiers on the battlefield. This snaps Cassie back into action, ready to look after any of the wounded. However, she is suddenly on the ground as the men all scramble back into the trench, not looking where they are going. They all jump down, managing to land on her somehow. It's suddenly pitch black.

~

"Where's your father?" Polly asks Arthur as he enters the house. Cass immediately notices his look of disappointment and internally rolls her eyes. "I'm assuming he's off spending the £500 you took from us and put into his thieving, whore-groping hands." Polly says bitterly, not allowing her oldest nephew to speak. "What were you thinking?" Cassie says angrily. "How dare you do something like that without talking to the family first." Polly then says, matching Cassie's anger.

"What? Like Tommy does things without telling us?" Arthur retorts. "Tommy doesn't steal from his family. I know you love him Arth, but our dad is a bastard and he's trying to turn you into him." Cass says, ignoring the anger in her chest at the mention of their brother. This makes Arthur realise what he's done.

"Does Tommy know?" He says with a gulp. Polly sighs as she lifts her paper back up to read. "No." She says plainly. "You're gonna have to tell him though." Cass adds, raising her eyebrows towards her oldest brother. "Alright." Arthur says as he hangs his head in shame before walking out of the room.

"I knew this would happen, Pol. He knew I wouldn't let him anywhere near me or the money, so he manipulated Arthur. Everyone knows how much he looks up to him, it was only a matter of time." Cass says with a sigh as she sips on her cup of tea. "I know, love. Everything will get sorted though." Polly replies in a calming tone, helping her niece relax a little.

~

"Cassie! The police are coming for Tommy! I've just seen him go into the Garrison! Come on!" Finn yells as he enters his sister's room. She quickly throws the book she was reading down and runs to follow her youngest brother out of the house.

"Shit, they're in the lane. Run ahead and tell Tommy." Cass says, hiding her face from the coppers walking past her. Finn nods quickly before running ahead of his sister and into the pub.

Cass enters in a panic, seeing Tommy and Grace slip through to the back of the pub. She manages to make eye contact with her brother, sending a quick reassuring nod to him before he follow the barmaid out of the building. No one is going to find him, especially if Cass has something to do with it. She might not trust Grace, but she's the only option they have right now.

The front doors suddenly open, revealing Campbell and Moss trying to look intimidating. Cass and Finn stand together and watch as Campbell drags his gun across the bar. His eyes rake over Cass with a disgusting glint, making her want to vomit.

"I'm looking for Thomas Shelby." Campbell says loudly to the room. Everyone's eyes dart towards the Shelby sister, making her send a glare to them in order for them to stay quiet. "Never heard of him." Harry says casually, wiping down the bar as he does so. Cass can't help but smirk to herself. Tommy has spent all of this time making people fear him, never did anyone guess that would gain their loyalty.

There's a thick silence in the room as Campbell looks at each and every one of them to try and break them. "You'll never find him." Finn says quaintly, making Cass place her hand on his shoulder protectively. "Go home, young man." Campbell says, moving closer to the boy. Cass quickly steps in front of him. "Where is your brother?" he then says to the younger woman. "Which one, inspector? I have many." Cass replies spitefully.

Campbell immediately back hands her in the face, making her stumble into the nearest post. Everyone else in the room immediately stand and ready their guns, aiming for the man who just struck the Shelby woman in the face. "I'm going to ask this one more time. Get him on his knees." Campbell says, gesturing to Harry. "Now, you listen here. I don't care if he lives or dies." He then says, pointing his gun towards Harry's head but never taking his eyes off Cass. "We don't know where he's gone." Cass admits, stepping forward, trying her best to show no fear. She doesn't want Harry to die, he's always been nice to her.

"He went off with the barmaid. He left with her. He's with Grace." Harry says, almost desperately. Campbell immediately pulls his gun away in shock, leaning his back against the bar as he thinks things over. Cass narrows her eyes at him. This has suddenly become personal, and she can tell. "Do you know her?" Cass asks strongly. Campbell ignores her and storms out of the building.

"Harry, are you alright?" Cassie asks as she helps the barman off the floor. "Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks." He replies, brushing himself off. "I'm sorry for telling him, Miss Shelby. I thought I was gonna die." He then says, a worried look written across his face. "It's ok. I would have done the same. I just hope Campbell leaves them alone." Cass replies, sending a sympathetic look towards her old friend.

"Come on, Finn. Let's get you home." Cass then says as she takes her youngest brother's hand. "You're all still under the protection of the peaky blinders. Any more problems, come and find me." She says to the room, earning mumbles 'thank you's in reply before she leaves the room.