Chapter 3 - Some fucking holiday

"Never thought I'd see you wearing that again, Cass." Arthur says as she and Tommy climb out of the car. "Well, there's no point in it collecting dust." Cass replies with a shrug of the shoulders. She decided to wear the dress her brothers had gotten her 2 years prior for the races. The one she was wearing when she shot Kimber. "John!" Tommy then shouts, getting more impatient every second that passes. "I'm coming!" John yells back, followed by some loud crashes through his house as he presumably makes his way out.

"What the fuck is that?" Cass asks in an almost disgusted tone as she watches Arthur chug some medicine out of a small glass bottle. "Polly got it for me. Gotta take it twice a day, three times if I'm still sober at 10 o'clock. It keeps me nice and calm." Arthur replies, not even fazed by his sister's judgements. They both watch as Tommy pops the lid off and gives it a sniff. "It's the same thing they gave us in the trenches to stop us fuckin' wankin'." Tommy says with a small laugh. "Yeah, never worked though." Cass comments, making her two older brothers smirk.

"Polly said it's good for my temper." Arthur tries to argue, making his other two siblings scoff. "There are some things that Polly doesn't understand. We don't want you slow, brother. I need you fast." Tommy says as he tips the contents of the bottle onto the street. Cass smirks as the bottle hits the ground with a small smash.

"Alright, alright, I'm here. She wouldn't let go of my fucking leg, though." John says as he opens and slams his front door in a matter of seconds. "I bet that's not all she wouldn't let go of." Arthur retorts with a laugh, earning a smack on the arm from Cass. "Right. Let's go." Tommy says as he clambers back into the car. "You know, she's against this, Tom. She's got opinions." John says, standing in front of the car door to prevent his siblings from joining Tommy. "There's nothing wrong with opinions, John." Tommy replies plainly.

Once the four of them are settled in the car, Tommy starts the engine. As soon as they start to drive, the atmosphere between the group changes. "Right! The Peaky Blinders are going on fucking holiday!" Arthur yells, standing on his seat in the back of the car. Cass, John, and Tommy all burst out into laughter. "Sit down you mad bastard!" John yells, grabbing Arthur's arm and pulling him onto the seat. "London here we come!" Cass almost shrieks with excitement, shaking Tommy's arm which makes him laugh even more. It's not very often Cass gets like this anymore, so the three Shelby brothers embrace it while it lasts.

~

"Look at this! I bloody love it!" Arthur yells as he and his brothers take a piss in a random field. Cass stays in the car, grateful that they had the courtesy to turn away from her. "You know, Esme was right about one thing, John. The countryside is fucking beautiful." Arthur then says, zipping up his trousers and admiring the view as his brothers walk back to the car. He continues to babble on about living in a place like this and keeping chickens, making Cass roll her eyes. That's the second time in the space of 24 hours that she's heard a speech like that.

"Yeah. sounds good, Arthur. We'll see you in London, yeah?" John says jokingly as he opens the car door to continue the journey. "I'd wait a minute if I were you, John." Cass says, keeping her hand on the car door to prevent him from climbing in. "What do you mean?" He asks in a confused tone before noticing Tommy staring at something in the boot and walking back over to him. "Oh for fuck's sake." He then moans when he notices the dead body they've apparently been travelling with.

"Take these." Tommy says as he hands his brothers a shovel each. "Who the fuck is that?" Arthur asks. "Doesn't matter. We just need to bury him." Tommy replies, looking towards Cass but being left with the back of her head. He knows she didn't agree with this, but he's following Irish orders to keep them all safe. "Come on, boys. We did a thousand of these in France. This time isn't much different." Tommy then says, gesturing for them to help carry the body.