Chapter 31 - Good news, bad news

"Have you heard from Tommy?" Cass asks nervously down the phone. "No I haven't, why?" Polly replies. "Something doesn't feel right. Arthur and John have left the Derby now, but Tommy was apparently taken. Do you know where he is?" Cass then informs her aunt, biting her lip when she hears a sigh on the other end. "Everything's going to be fine, Cass. I'll call you if I hear anything." Polly then says before hanging up.

Cass sighs as she gently places the phone back onto the wall. "No one's heard off him then?" Alfie says from behind her. "Nope." She replies with a sigh. Alfie watches as she leans her head against the wall next to the phone, prompting him to pull her away and into his arms. He instantly feels her relax in his embrace.

~

"He's going to be fine, love." Alfie reassures as he pulls her closer on their bed. "I know, I just need a distraction." Cass replies with a sigh. Alfie takes a moment to think, realising that this might be the perfect moment to tell her the secret he's been keeping.

"Well, I have been keeping something from you because I didn't know how you were going to feel about it." He says nervously, prompting Cass to lift her head and look at him in confusion. "It's nothing bad." He quickly says, making her relax slightly. "I, uhm, have a dog." He then reveals, sucking in a nervous breath.

"A dog? Why would you be worried about having a dog? Where even is it?" Cass says, now even more confused. "Well, when you came down for our first date, Ollie looked after him. He's kind of been there ever since." Alfie replies awkwardly, making Cass laugh. "Oh, that poor man. He does everything and anything for you doesn't he? Well, why don't you call him tomorrow and tell him to bring the dog back." She says through her chuckles. "Really?" He asks in shock. "Yeah, I love dogs." She replies before settling back down on his chest. This was the perfect distraction for her.

~

The couple are pulled from sleep as the phone starts to ring in Alfie's home office. Cass immediately stands from the bed and almost sprints towards the room. "Tommy?" She asks breathlessly after picking up the phone. "Yeah, it's me." Tommy replies through the receiver. "Oh thank God." Cass sighs in relief. "Look, I know it's late, so I won't keep you. Everything that happened is under control. I just need to tell you something." Tommy says, sounding nervous. "Ok." Cass says suspiciously. "I got Grace pregnant." He then blurts out, only to be met with silence.

"Cass?" He asks, not liking her lack of reaction. "Is she going to keep it?" She asks darkly. "I think so." Tommy replies. "Congratulations." Cass then says plainly. "Cass, I know what she did is unforgivable, but this might be my only chance to have a family. I know you know how that feels." Tommy says. "Don't you dare." Cass says sternly, cutting off whatever he was going to say next. "I'm happy for you, Tom. You should get some rest." She then says before slamming the phone down.

"Everything alright?" Alfie asks tiredly from the doorway. "Yeah. Tommy's safe." Cass replies, trying her best to not sound angry. "What aren't you telling me?" Alfie then says, noticing the way her shoulders tense up at the question. "He's going to be a father." She replies with a sigh. "Well, that's good news, isn't it?" he asks curiously, stepping into the room. "Yeah. It is. Come on, let's go back to bed." Cass replies with a fake smile before leading her lover back to their bedroom. She would love to rant to Alfie about how it's going to end up badly, but she knows now is not the time.

~

Cass couldn't sleep for the rest of the night with how angry she was, so ended up sitting in the kitchen since the early hours. She wanted to hate Alfie for being able to sleep so easily, but he didn't have such a weight of worry on his shoulders. She spent hours with her thoughts, constantly considering whether to call Tommy or not. When the clock struck 7am, she decided to leave it for now. Tommy needs time to process everything.

At around 8:30, she hears Alfie making his way towards her, grunting with every step he walks down. "Cass?" He yells through the hall when he reaches the bottom of the staircase. "I'm in the kitchen." She replies, prompting him to walk straight in. "How long have you been awake, love?" He asks softly, noticing the slightly darker circles under her eyes. "Most of the night. I'm fine, though." Cass replies with a shrug.

Alfie sighs as he sits next to her. "What's wrong?" He asks, his stare keeping her attention as she sighs. "I'm just worried about Tommy. The woman he's in love with fucked us over big time, and I don't know if it's going to happen again. I know I have to think positively, but she betrayed the whole family. They're not going to forgive her as easily has he has." Cass explains. Alfie takes a moment to think. That's not what he was expecting her to say.

"How do you feel about forgiving her?" He asks after a moment of silence. "I don't know. I'm happy for him, I really am, but I don't know if I can look past what she did." Cass replies with a sigh. "Well, instead of forgiving her, why don't you just be civil?" Alfie suggests. Cass smiles slightly. "I sometimes forget how smart you are." She says, placing her hand his cheek. "So, it's a plan? Whenever we're around her we'll be civil?" Alfie says. "We?" Cass asks, her smirk now turning into a grin. "Sounds good." She then says with a small laugh when he looks down with embarrassment.