Chapter 28 - Battle prep

"Aufgeben oder sterben!" a voice filled with anger and fear breaks through their trance. They both break their eye contact to see a young German soldier, no older than 18, pointing a rifle at them and yelling. Cass's German wasn't very good, but she's guessing from the tone in his voice he's yelling something like 'Surrender or die'.

"Alfred, you have to go. Run to the checkpoint. Now." She says forcibly, knowing her injury will slow them down. "No way. I'm not a coward." Alfred says as he stalks over to the boy. Cass watches as they fight, Alfred easily getting the upper hand. He tries to reach for his pistol, but the German soldier knocks it out of his hand ad towards Cass's feet. Without thinking she picks up the gun and points it at the German boy's head.

BANG

Cass is woken up with a shake. "Cass, get up and get ready. It's black star day." Tommy says in a hushed tone. "It's today?" Cass asks in shock. Only Tommy knew when they were taking Kimber down, and she definitely wasn't expecting it to be today. "Yeah. Be ready and meet me in the shop in an hour. Everyone's going to be there." Tommy replies before quickly leaving her room.

Cass stands from her bed, stretching her tight limbs as she does so. She shakes the lingering images from her nightmares out of her head before walking to her wardrobe. She's determined to have a clear head with how important today is. Everyone needs to be on their top game, and she's not willing to be the downfall of her family.

~

"Where are we going?" Cass asks as John throws her coat in her direction. "We've got to pick up our suits." Arthur replies bluntly. "And your dress." Tommy adds with a smirk. "You got me a dress?" Cass asks in excited shock. "Of course we did, sis. Did you think we would go to the races without you a second time?" John says with a grin as he offers his arm for her to hold. "I guess I don't know what I thought." Cass replies, placing her arm in John's elbow and following their two older brothers out of the building.

"So, how're you doing?" John asks quietly, knowing Arthur and Tommy won't be able to hear them since they're further ahead of them in the street. "I'm actually doing a lot better." Cass says in an almost relieved tone. "I can tell. You've been smiling a lot more recently." John says, nudging her side slightly. "I'm glad you've noticed, John boy." Cass says, matching her brother's smile.

As the siblings walk into the Chinese hut, all eyes are quickly averted from them. There are lots of people running around trying to get their jobs done quickly. Tommy leads them all towards where their clothes will be before looking for the man who runs it. Cass watches as they have a short, yet discreet, conversation and Tommy makes his way to the back rooms.

"So, what do you think, Cass?" Arthur says happily as he holds a royal blue sequinned dress in front of her. "Oh my god! It's beautiful. I can't believe you boys remembered my favourite colour." Cass replies, her eyes lighting up at the sight. "Well, it's the only thing you burned into our brains when we were kids." Arthur says with a shrug. "Yeah, you tried to kill us if we brought you anything pink." John jokes, joining his siblings when they laugh.

"Everything alright Tom?" Cass asks as he re-joins them suddenly. "Yeah, everything's fine. Come on. The meeting is in half an hour." Tommy replies, practically pulling his siblings through the room once they've grabbed their clothes.

~

"Alright everyone! Settle down." Tommy yells through the room, prompting everyone to stop their conversations and turn their attentions to him. "I've brought you here today because this is the day we replace Billy Kimber. This is the day we finally become respectable. Today we will join the official National Association of Racecourse Bookmakers." Tommy starts, looking around the room at his family and most trusted friends. He quickly shares eye contact with Cass, who sends him a small reassuring nod.

"First, though, we have to do the dirty work. We've all known this day has been coming, I just haven't told anyone the date." Tommy continues, before turning around to look at the odds board. "We're going to the Worcester races!" Cass almost squeals with excitement, making her brothers and aunt chuckle. "The track opens at 1, we're going to get there at 2. Now, Kimber thinks we're going there to help fight against the Lee brothers. But thanks to the efforts of our John, and his lovely new wife Esme, the Lees are now kin. I happened to interrupt those efforts this morning, and it's safe to say that John is making great sacrifices in the cause of peace." Tommy says, prompting everyone in the room to laugh. Cass can't help but grimace at the thought of her younger brother having sex.

"So, it'll be us and the Lee boys against Kimber and his men. We'll take them out, then leave the bookies. I expect a swift victory which will send a signal all the way to London. It will state that we will be letting legitimate business run peacefully." Tommy then goes on to explain, still managing to hold everyone's attention. "What about Kimber himself?" John asks with a cocky smirk. "I'll deal with Kimber." Tommy replies bluntly.

"Any other questions?" He then asks the room, prompting most people to shake their heads. "Yes, actually." Polly says before walking to the door at the back of the room. "Does anyone object if I bring a newcomer to the meeting?" She says with a small smirk before opening the door to reveal Ada holding her son.

"I'd like to introduce the newest member of the Shelby clan." Polly says happily as she guides Ada into the centre of the room. Everyone erupts into applause and smile at the mother and son duo. "Welcome home, Ada." Tommy says with a smile. "We named him Karl, after Karl Marx." Ada announces, prompting Arthur, John, and Finn to all crowd around her to see the baby. Cass just stays in her seat and watches from the background. She knows that if Ada didn't want Cass at the birth, she definitely shouldn't be around the baby.

She watches as Arthur and John start to bicker over who gets to hold him first, both trying to put their hats on his head. Polly sends her a look, to which she responds with a slight shake of the head. She knows she's not welcome in that moment, especially when Ada and Tommy hug. Tommy should be getting Freddie out of prison today, meaning Ada has forgiven him for everything she accused him of. That's one good thing to come out of all of this.