Chapter 13 - Finally

"This place is beautiful." Cass says as Alfie pulls her chair our for her. "Thanks, I own it." Alfie says with a smirk. He had brought her to his best establishment for dinner. In his eyes, it still wasn't good enough for her but couldn't help but admire her as she looks around in amazement. Her smile is brighter than he's ever seen it before, which makes his heartbeat slightly faster.

"What can I get for you, Mr Solomons?" The waiter asks as he arrives at the table. "I'll have a rum, please mate." He replies. "And for the lady?" The waiter then asks, turning his focus to Cass. "I'll have the same, please." Cass says, laughing slightly as the younger man nods and rushes off to get their orders. "Thank you for bringing me here." She then says, placing her hand on top of Alfie's and looking at him with a smile. "Anytime, love." Alfie replies, seemingly letting his guard down for now.

~

After a wonderful meal, which Cassie practically devoured, Alfie offers for them to go back to his 'bakery' for a night cap. Cass couldn't even imagine saying no to him. Not after the wonderful day he had planned just for her.

When they arrive, the place is empty. Very different compared to how Cass remembered it. "Right, come on. The good shit's in my office." Alfie says, wrapping his arm around her waist as they make their way to the back of the room. "I've got a few options. Would you like whiskey or whiskey?" Alfie says with a chuckle when Cass rolls her eyes playfully. "That's a tough one. I think I'm going to have to go with whiskey." She replies with a grin, thanking him when he passes her the glass.

Alfie sits in his desk chair, prompting Cass to follow him but lean against the desk facing him. She folds her arms across her torso, still holding her drink, and stares at him for a moment. "You know, I don't usually like people staring at me, love." Alfie says. "What are you going to do about it, Mr Solomons?" Cass asks in a low voice, trying to hide her smirk.

Alfie looks at her in shock. Is she drunk or actually insinuating something? He wasn't expecting her to be so forward on their first date, and he was originally determined to act as an honourable man. That started to go out of the window the minute he saw her in that dress. This was a test from God, and he was going to make sure that he passed.

In spite of this, he quickly stands from his chair, grabs her drink to place it on his desk, and takes her strongly by the waist. Cass places her hands on his upper arms, looking up at him as his face inches closer to hers. "Just you wait, love." Alfie whispers as their lips hover each other's, creating a warm tension that they didn't realise was there before.

Neither of them want to be the first to lean in fully, the idea making them think they're weak. However, Cass has been Alfie's weakness for years. He wasn't going to let her go again anytime soon. He gently places his lips on hers, instantly relaxing as she starts to kiss him back.

This kiss isn't as heated as the one they shared a few weeks ago. It's still filled with passion, but there isn't an urgent need to feel close to each other. Cass slides her hands into his slicked back hair, messing it up slightly. Alfie grunts at the feeling of her nails against his scalp. God's test is definitely a hard one.

Before anything more can happen, Cass pulls away. She brings her hands down to either side of his face and rests their foreheads together. "I'm sorry." She whispers, closing her eyes. "You have nothing to be sorry for, love. I'd wait a thousand years for you." Alfie replies, pecking her lips once more. "I just don't want anything to become complicated." Cass admits, pulling away from him and avoiding his gaze.

He gently places his hand under her chin and lifts her face so she's looking at him. "We'll go at your pace, love. I'm not going anywhere." He says softly with a kind smile. "Good." She whispers in reply before kissing him again. She wanted to share her gratitude for his understanding. He had always understood what a big deal it was for her, even when they were in France. They were finally on the right track. The track they had been destined to be on since they met, even if it did take them a while to get there.

The pair were glowing by the end of the night. Alfie had offered to stay with Cassie at the hotel, since he wanted her to be safe. Cass, a little drunk by this point, enthusiastically agreed. She quickly shuffled into the bathroom to change into her nightdress before flopping next to him on the bed and snuggling into his now bare chest. They both fell asleep fairly quickly, enjoying the company of the person next to them. It felt ridiculously natural for them to be sharing a bed, as if it was meant to be – and Cass was sure it was.